Thread: Ubuntu wrong disk size

Beans

Ubuntu wrong disk size

Hi everyone, This is the first time I use Ubuntu and this forum, I hope you can help me.. so I have a problem, I had windows 8.1 installed then I try to make a clean Ubuntu Install "20.04.4 LTS" in my 320 Gb notebook Harddrive as you can see in the image

But when I open "Gparted" tool it show me a 290 Gb space only as the image.
    The problem is when I try to ReInstall Windows 8.1 again the installation wizard show me the partitions that Gparted show me before and not the real harddrive size...

I try to delete all partitions from windows wizard install and reinstalled windows and it still show me 290 Gb.
    I try to delete all partitions from ubuntu too and format my 320 gb from Disk utility

I dont know what to do , thanks for you help
    Last edited by QIII; March 30th, 2022 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Original text restored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Wrong Disk Size

All sizes are right.
    Windows installer and Gparted show the sizes in gibibyte, as opposed to Disks which shows the sizes in gigabytes.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Wrong Disk Size

Thank you this is the first time I read about gibibytes xd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Thank you xd

Note that your image actually shows about 298GiB and a bit of change when you add all three partitions.

Disk manufacturers engineer their products in multiples of 1000, because that is how mechanical engineers think. So for them a kilobyte is 1000 bytes. That makes a GB 1000*1000*1000 = 1,000,000,000

But that's not the way computers "see" numbers. They think in terms of bits (0s and 1s) forming bytes. To "talk" to computers in their binary world, we use a KB as 1024 bytes. A GiB happens to be 1024*1024*1024 = 1,073,741,824

A GB is roughly 93% of a GIB. 320 * 0.93 is approximately 298. I'm not going to look at the ratios to 10 decimal places, so that'll have to do.

So, your 320 GB disk provides roughly the same amount of storage space as a 298GiB disk.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.