Thread: Lenovo T430 - upgrading the processor, plus ubuntu install

Beans

Lenovo T430 - upgrading the processor, plus ubuntu install

Hi/ I just acquired a Lenovo T430 with an I5 core processor.

[[[ Lenovo Thinkpad T430 // Intel Core i5-3320M CPU @2.60GHZ ]]]

I haven't done anything to it yet. Haven't used it at all.

I would like to upgrade every part that I can , over time.
    Also, uninstall windows and install ubuntu.

Which is easier to do and what is the viable steps to do it?

Upgrade the processor first while under windows 10 OS and THEN install ubuntu?

Or install ubuntu first, and THEN install the I7 core processor?

Thanks. C.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Lenovo T430 - upgrading the processor, plus ubuntu install

I'm successfully running i7-3632QM for more then a year now and I'm very satisfied. No issues with throttling, overheating or unstable work. **After the modification the laptop needs a minimum of 90W power adapter, won't run on 65W. And update Bios before and after.(Very Important)
    FTR>>> I don't see any difference between them. So keep that in mind.
    However replacing the spinning hard drive with a SSD drive made a noticeable difference.
    maybe start there.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Thanks for the reply. Good to know, and thanks for the warning! Would you recommend that I replace the processor in a windows or ubuntu environment? Is there adequate support in both? What steps did you follow? Thanks again!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crougeau View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Good to know, and thanks for the warning! Would you recommend that I replace the processor in a windows or ubuntu environment? Is there adequate support in both? What steps did you follow? Thanks again!
    That's a choice you'll have to make based on knowledge, best to leave that learning curve for a later time.
    So yes windows and windows only for the firmware, and you may know this already but the T-430 is off lenovo's support now, yet another reason to use the window's drive for ALL firmware upgrades.
    The Steps I followed are through my 17 yrs of repairing PC's now only as a side project.
    Google around for the CPU transplant instructions, **making sure your following your exact Specs.
    Please again, entertain the notion of first replacing the drive with a SSD. might just save you some money, and upgrade memory to a minimum of 8 Gigs. <I chose 12 Gigs>
    Some of those i5's are still as equal or better to most i7's I also have a X1Carbon with the Core i5-8265U 4 8 1.6GHz 3.9GHz 6MB LPDDR3-2133 Intel UHD Graphics, it rocks all my i7's.
    Last edited by 1fallen; March 29th, 2022 at 10:46 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Thank you. I should probably heed your words. As far as processor, the reason I am quick to think this way, is that ultimately, I want to have Ubuntu LTS as my main OS and a Window 10/11 VM within. So, I will be putting both the RAM and the processor through it's paces, i believe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

12 Gigs Memory(Optimal)8 Gigs just OK then, and both CPU's will handle that
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crougeau View Post
    Would you recommend that I replace the processor in a windows or ubuntu environment?
    That question does not make sense. Replacing the CPU is a hardware issue. You need to make sure your laptop/BIOS supports the CPU you want to install. The OS has very little to do with it.
    I see Lenovo offers BIOS updates in the form of Windows exes and bootable CD iso's, so maybe you want to make sure you are running the latest BIOS using Windows as that's easier than messing with a CD. Other than that, you're better off asking your question in a Lenovo forum.

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/Th...m_20130410.pdf
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa...3708452?page=1
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; April 1st, 2022 at 09:46 PM.

Beans

Thanks. I think you answered my question, as the others did too. Hardware changes means driver and Bios updates. This is what I am getting at, particularly for the processor.