Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot repair and broken grub

Beans

Re: Boot repair and broken grub

I might have missed a critical information here, sorry. I have 8gb SSD and one which I think I installed Ubuntu long ago (2017) because of which there might be some problem in boot repair?

Beans

How can I correct it?
    Last edited by dushyantsahoo; February 16th, 2022 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It only shows sda & flash drive.

If a 8GB SSD, is that Intel RST, RAId or similar?
    Microsoft was for a while requiring vendors to add small cache SSDs for Windows fast startup to make system boot faster, as Windows does not boot very quickly.
    Usually the SSD was about the size of RAM, but some vendors did put larger SSD up to 32GB. If larger, we have seen users erase the Windows hibernation & Intel RST, and use SSD as Ubuntu / (root). But your 8GB is too small for anything.

You do need Intel RST/RAID off and AHCI on for drives for Ubuntu to work. Only if dual booting with Windows, then you need AHCI drivers in Windows. Check UEFI settings.

You have BIOS/MBR install, but system may be UEFI?
    And you have nVidia GeForce GTX 960M which needs nVidia driver.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I am not using windows on the laptop, it is just Ubuntu. Probably I might have mistaken about 8gb boot and that is not causing an issue here. Is there something else which is causing the issue in boot repair?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yann in post #7 is the author of Boot-Repair.
    Did you make any of the changes he seems to say is the issue?

Are you able to chroot into system and install grub, or did other changes you must have made previously totally break system?
    Often if it takes more than a couple of hours to debug & fix system, better to just reinstall & restore from backups.
    I regularly install every 6 month release, often more than once just to see what is changing. And install to SSD is just over 10min, restore of data & updates, now mostly scripted takes less than an hour. Longest time is reinstalling apps from exported list from old install into new install.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Yes, I tried those changes and https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/TrvjRRTxqh/ is the new pastebin. But it does not seem to work, I have a new error-
    Error detected in grub_mkconfig

I did chroot into the system and installed grub, but I again get an error when I perform update-grub.
    I am scared to do reinstall, I am almost finishing up my PhD and I don't want to loose any information. So it would be great if I could resolve this issue otherwise I can do reinstall as you suggested

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

We regularly report here that if your data is important, you must have backups.
    What if hard drive totally failed tomorrow?
    And see lines 17-23 in report, it may be hard drive.

From live installer and Disks (gnome-disks) in upper right corner is Smart Status.
    All I know is whether it says drive is good or bad, but it can run tests to check for issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12