Thread: how to properly use certbot for postfix on backend mail server

Beans

Question how to properly use certbot for postfix on backend mail server

Hi, this is my first post on the forums

My aim is to set up a mail server that is on a separate machine from my web server. I have only 1 public IP address available so I think I must use a reverse proxy to make it work if I want to use Certbot on the backend mail server. So currently I have the following 3 machines running:

- ReverseProxy Server
    - Mail Server
    - Web Server

I have:

- Apache installed on the mail server because I think it is required to make Certbot work right?
    - Certbot installed on both the ReverseProxy and on the Mail Server.
    - copied all the files in etc/letsencrypt//live/<domain>/ and /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/<domain>/ from the mailserver to the ReverseProxy.

Are both the proxy server and the mail server required to have the same certificate, private key and renewal files like this? And Is this the standard way of getting a certificate for a backend mailserver or am I overcomplicating things?
    Last edited by joeydenhaag; February 9th, 2022 at 12:55 PM. Reason: trying to make it more clear

Beans

Re: how to properly use certbot for postfix on backend mail server

Thread moved to the "Server Platforms" forum for a better fit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: how to properly use certbot for postfix on backend mail server

When you say mail server, are you wanting to setup a full blown mail server or just a forwarding outgoing mailserver?

Although some reverse proxies can handle TCP reverse proxying, reverse proxying is different for web servers than mailservers. Reverse proxies usually operate on Layer & and hence handle http traffic -- such as what is happening for web and web services. A TCP reverse proxy would operate on Layer 4. Usually for any type of mailserver you are going to have to open various ports on your router and port forward to these ports. Mail servers depending on how they are configured need a lot of different ports open. When setting up a mailserver (or any server for that matter) I would always first remove the reverse proxy from the situation to ensure things are setup first and functioning like you would like them prior to adding a reverse proxy. Postfix can operate with Let's encrypt certificates itself over secure ports, so you don't exactly need the reverse proxy in the mix for a mail server unless you were running multiple servers. d