Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unable to Install Ubuntu Because I Cannot Turn Off RST

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Re: Unable to Install Ubuntu Because I Cannot Turn Off RST

Quote Originally Posted by androy518 View Post
    Physically removing the Optane Memory from my laptop stopped the RST error from appearing. Thank you all.
    Good news.
    Have you now installed Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    You have mentioned this QR code a few times and I do not know what it is or what it is supposed to do?
    Hopefully, someone else who has knowledge of this will be able to offer assistance.
    Being that I had to work as a Certified HP, Dell and Lenovo Warranty Service Tech, I have some Phone Apps from them to scan and decode the QR codes for me, and to tell me what those errors mean.

I've run tests on this and did some investigation on this on my own... Intel RST and Intel Optane is tricky with Linux.

If you have both Windows and Linux, you "have to" turn off all the options in the UEFI BIOS, then you also physically remove the Optane card. It cannot be there if you plan to run both Windows and any Linux OS. Even with all the BIOS Options turned off, if it is 'there', both Windows and Linux can (somehow) still see the Optane card connected on the Bus when they do their device checks of the hardware, during boot of the OS. Windows, if ran, will try to re-activate it and take ownership of it. (You can see it in the Windows system logs!!!) Linux will see it, but see that the Windows stuff still in it's cache... (Remember that I said 'even after the BIOS settings have been turned off..." You would think that logically, that it magically turns off some kind of switch, but it doesn't. It seems that the BIOS settings only disable some 'features' that support it.)

For most Users, they cannot install Linux if an Optane Card is in the system. There is a way to install Ubuntu on hardware with Optane, if it is the only OS (No Windows OS), but it requires certain settings, certain drivers, and that the Optane card is initialized so that is has 'nothing' in it's cache from any other OS'es... This means that their can also only be "one" Linux OS there of one version. But the installation process of that is above the skill level of most Users. If it is done wrong, they can brick hardware. So for most Users, the answer is still a "No".

This is just what I have personally experienced and found out for myself.

EDIT:
    For followon Users reading this later, the fastest and easiest way to remove an Intel Optane card from your system, is to have the system completely shut down and all cables disconnected. Set the system on an anti-static mat. Remove the Optane card as per your system's guidance. (Unplug the card.) On initial start-up after that, go directly to your BIOS Firmware Settings and reset the BIOS to factory defaults. Since the BIOS will not see the Optane Card there (this time), it will set the correct settings for what is there automatically for you. Make any other changes to the BIOS that you need to install that version of Linux to your system. Save the changes and go on...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 15th, 2022 at 02:56 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Good news.
    Have you now installed Ubuntu?
    I currently have Ubuntu installed on my laptop and I am liking the operating system. I am currently planning to run Windows through a virtual machine in the future so that I can use some applications that only run on Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

I currently have Ubuntu installed on my laptop and I am liking the operating system.
    Excellent - I hope that you can consider marking the thread as solved to help other forum users/searchers.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

There is a lot of useful information in this discussion especially post 22 from MAFoElffen.
    I don't recall any other thread where the Optane drive was physically removed and Ubuntu was consequently installed with success.
    The comment about resetting the UEFI to defaults (after removing the Optane drive) is probably beneficial.
    Sometimes, secure boot may be a default, therefore be vigilant.
    I am currently planning to run Windows through a virtual machine in the future so that I can use some applications that only run on Windows.
    There is an active Virtualisation forum https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=308
    Last edited by tea for one; February 15th, 2022 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added comment about secure boot

Beans

On the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 TWR to turn this off, go to the BIOS:

Advanced, System Options

Uncheck - Configure Storage Controller for Raid

Uncheck - Configure Storage Controller for Intel Optane

Back to Main then Exit and Save

Warning: if Windows has this enabled and you are dual booting, you must resolve Windows dependencies first or you will lose access to Windows.

I had no need for this as I was erasing Windows from my system.
    Last edited by ctrl-alt-delete; March 24th, 2022 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added a Warning

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123