Thread: Best way to repair (terminal mode?) bootloader causing boot: gfxboot.c32 error msg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Best way to repair (terminal mode?) bootloader causing boot: gfxboot.c32 error msg

Ok, I just jumped from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS after an extended hiatus from my Linux PC. I used a Live USB zipdrive to install the new OS. Everything went wonderful til the end of the install when I was asked about my partition layout. I wanted to keep my existing partitions with a SWAP file area, etc but screwed up when I told the installer I wanted the mounting point for two of the disk partitions at '/'. The installer locked up on me unfortunately. When I rebooted I had big issues with the BIOS and bootloader. No surprise, huh.

To make a long story short I stumbled around and now have got the PC to boot up and hang at the [boot: gfxboot.c32 not a com32 image] point.

I can hit the "tab" key and type in "live" (enter) and get to the LiveUSB zipdrive and it finishes booting up in live mode.

Do I need to access terminal mode and make the necessary repairs to the bootloader? Is the "Boot-Repair" utility a good route to proceed with? I just want to clear up this issue in the cleanest fashion possible.

One more question: If I download software off the web, like Chrome Browser, before I fix this issue will the software be located on the zipdrive or on the hard drive where the install took place?

thanks for your advice....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Best way to repair (terminal mode?) bootloader causing boot: gfxboot.c32 error ms

Boot-Repair corrected bootloader problem.