Thread: Problems with Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Problems with Firefox

Anyone else having issues with FF? On my 3 daily use machines, all 3 are having issues with FF. A few days ago, they started locking up. FF loads instantly and then appears to be operating normally, but after a few minutes, it will just lock up. I can't open a new tab, go backwards, or do anything else. I must close it and then wait a few minutes until I reopen it. If I try to reopen it too soon, I get a message box saying that it is running but not responding.

Since this is happening on 3 machines, I knew it wasn't a machine issue. But, I installed Opera and have no issue with that. In fact, this post is being done on Opera because I had this all typed out on FF and when I hit the Submit button, it froze. I waited a couple minutes and it was still frozen. I couldn't open another tab or anything else. I couldn't even copy what I had typed already to paste it here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Problems with Firefox

Sometimes I do.
    Almost always it is because I forgot to reboot after a kernel update 3 weeks ago or there is a new FF version that was installed last patch session and I haven't restarted.

The typical FF troubleshooting method is to start it in "safe mode" and see if the issue continues. If it doesn't, then look to an out of date addon. Usually, within a week the addon gets updated and all is well. In the meantime, use Private Windows or run firefox in a firejail --private session.