Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snaps are causing confusion and bad ratings

Beans

Snaps are causing confusion and bad ratings

I have noticed that Snaps are causing a lot of confusion and bad ratings in the Ubuntu Software manager.
    I'd like to provide an example but I can't seem to add images here, and this is the second attempt to post this message after I spent an hour typing and then lost it all because apparently didn't have a security token.

In short, for the app "deadbeef-vs":

1. "This application is unconfined" and yet it can't open files from the second drive. The reason is Snap permissions, but few people seem to realise that because there are 11 1-star reviews for the app, most talking about how the app is crap because it can't open files.
    2. Permissions for this app are very odd:
    a. "Play and record sound" is listed twice and doesn't prevent playing audio.
    b. "Play audio" is a separate permission which conflicts with that.
    c. "Read/write files on removable storage devices" is misnamed because my second drive is not removable.

Wouldn't it be better if Snap apps asked for their relevant permissions, or at the very least popped up the permissions dialog after install? That would put Ubuntu apps on par with Android apps.
    Last edited by Leslie Viljoen; January 8th, 2022 at 02:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Snaps are causing confusion and bad ratings

Moved to the Cafe as this didn't seem to fit elsewhere.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I personally have nothing against Snaps and the few I have installed and used seem to work okay however the initial start of a Snap App does seem to be slow at opening but once opened seemed to work well.

I think eventually Snaps may turn out to be a good thing but for now seem to have a few issues.

I prefer to use the Terminal or Synaptic Package Manager to install software.

Just my 25 cents worth.

Life is good.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Viljoen View Post
    …Wouldn't it be better if Snap apps asked for their relevant permissions, or at the very least popped up the permissions dialog after install?…
    Yours isn't the only problem with snaps. On a separate thread, I recently had to deal with the known issue of runaway app bloat.

There are still many issues with snap that need working out. Due to the nature of the beast, some of them may never be.

FWIW, this is not the place to make suggestions to Canonical. Ours is a user supported forum and the devs rarely if ever visit here. The venue where the devs hang out is: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/

As for your specific issue: though I really dislike the idea of recommending PPAs and don't normally condone it, the whole snaps imbroglio is forcing more and more people back to this (questionable) platform. There is a PPA for your app that appears to be recently maintained: https://launchpad.net/~starws-box/+a...eadbeef-player

CAUTION
    I don't use deadbeef and know nothing about this maintainer. As with all PPAs do your research and proceed at your own risk.

Beans

Thanks for the pointers everyone! I did get DeaDBeeF working fine but the package management caused a bad experience and I think Ubuntu is going to lose many new users if pretty much every application has these issues. I'll try discourse.
    Last edited by Leslie Viljoen; January 13th, 2022 at 01:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i avoid snaps primarily because i don't thoroughly understand how they run. i don't mean how to start them but what kind context they run in.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Bug reported here, is anyone wants to follow along:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/snap-stor...p/+bug/1957715

Beans
    Hidden!

Excellent job. If a Snap has any problems file a bug report.
    That is how to get them working.
    If they do not know there is a problem, they will not be fixed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bernard010 View Post
    Excellent job. If a Snap has any problems file a bug report.
    That is how to get them working.
    If they do not know there is a problem, they will not be fixed.
    I consider privacy to be very important. Every time I login to any online service, I consider whether that service is worth the lack of privacy or not. Last time I looked, the barrier to provide a bug report required setting up a new account first. That's for landscape and github and most other locations - like Mozilla.

For me, that barrier is too high for bug reporting, for a program that isn't working and will likely not work on my system due to "snap" anyway. About 80% of snaps haven't worked for me or break important, but non-standard, workflows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I have noticed that Snaps are causing a lot of confusion and bad ratings in the Ubuntu Software manager.
    I'd like to provide an example but I can't seem to add images here, and this is the second attempt to post this message after I spent an hour typing and then lost it all because apparently didn't have a security token.

In short, for the app "deadbeef-vs":

1. "This application is unconfined" and yet it can't open files from the second drive. The reason is Snap permissions, but few people seem to realise that because there are 11 1-star reviews for the app, most talking about how the app is crap because it can't open files.
    2. Permissions for this app are very odd:
    a. "Play and record sound" is listed twice and doesn't prevent playing audio.
    b. "Play audio" is a separate permission which conflicts with that.
    c. "Read/write files on removable storage devices" is misnamed because my second drive is not removable.

Wouldn't it be better if Snap apps asked for their relevant permissions, or at the very least popped up the permissions dialog after install? That would put Ubuntu apps on par with Android apps.
    Although I agree Snaps are a Royal pain in the Rear.
    There is a small work-around.

Code:
    sudo snap connect deadbeef-vs:removable-media
    Check Connections with:>>(DeadBeef should be running before hand)
    Code:
    snap connections deadbeef-vs
    Should show something like:
    Code:
    Interface        Plug                         Slot                     Notes
    alsa             deadbeef-vs:alsa             -                        -
    audio-playback   deadbeef-vs:audio-playback   :audio-playback          -
    dbus             -                            deadbeef-vs:dbus-daemon  -
    desktop          deadbeef-vs:desktop          :desktop                 -
    desktop-legacy   deadbeef-vs:desktop-legacy   :desktop-legacy          -
    gsettings        deadbeef-vs:gsettings        :gsettings               -
    home             deadbeef-vs:home             :home                    -
    network          deadbeef-vs:network          :network                 -
    network-bind     deadbeef-vs:network-bind     :network-bind            -
    optical-drive    deadbeef-vs:optical-drive    :optical-drive           -
    pulseaudio       deadbeef-vs:pulseaudio       :pulseaudio              -
    removable-media  deadbeef-vs:removable-media  :removable-media         manual
    unity7           deadbeef-vs:unity7           :unity7                  -
    wayland          deadbeef-vs:wayland          :wayland                 -
    x11              deadbeef-vs:x11              :x11                     -

-
    If you need more information see: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1034...talled-as-snap

I believe Gnome-Software has this Option
    Last edited by 1fallen; February 1st, 2022 at 10:06 PM. Reason: make clear
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast