Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: matlab / scilab / octave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

matlab / scilab / octave

Hi,

I haven't tried scilab nor octave yet. I have a couple of questions :

* If someone (for example a teacher) requires matlab code. Can I produce code using octave/scilab which will fully work (guaranteed) on matlab ?

* Is it easy/feasible to work together on code with people who might insist on using matlab (when I use scilab/octave) ?

* Is there some tutorial for working together with matlab ?

thanks guys
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; August 30th, 2006 at 10:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: matlab / scilab / octave

Hi,

I personally can't answer your questions. I've never really used Matlab, though I have an engineer colleage that uses it daily for his job so I suppose I could ask him.

What I really wanted to tell you is not to install the version of scilab in multiverse. It was buggy for me (fonts basically) and it is pretty outdated (over 1 year old). The binaries work OK, and compiling it isn't difficult at all. You will probably have to chmod $USER:$USER ~/.scilab, though
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Hi,

I personally can't answer your questions. I've never really used Matlab, though I have an engineer colleage that uses it daily for his job so I suppose I could ask him.
    Please ask him
    Is he using octave/scilab at home and matlab at work ? Is that easily possible and productive ?

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    What I really wanted to tell you is not to install the version of scilab in multiverse. It was buggy for me (fonts basically) and it is pretty outdated (over 1 year old). The binaries work OK, and compiling it isn't difficult at all. You will probably have to chmod $USER:$USER ~/.scilab, though
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think that basic syntax is pretty much the same. But, there is probably quite lot functions in matlab which won't work in scilab, for example. I did one quite big project with matlab, and tried to run it in linux/scilab, but that caused too much trouble. I had used matlab-specific complicated functions which weren't available in scilab.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu_demon View Post
    Please ask him
    Is he using octave/scilab at home and matlab at work ? Is that easily possible and productive ?

thanks
    I've just sent him an e-mail. He answers pretty fast, though he will probably be having his lunch now.

However, I fear I haven't explained myself. He uses Matlab exclusively (or so I thought), however he has quite a decent knowledge of it so I hope he or someone around him has some experience and can enlight us.
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans

* If someone (for example a teacher) requires matlab code. Can I produce code using octave/scilab which will fully work (guaranteed) on matlab ?
    No, the scilab code is different from Matlab. There is an assistant translator Matlab => Scilab (not the other way). I don't know for Octave.
    You should ask to your teacher if you can use Scilab (which is free and opensource) instead of matlab.

* Is it easy/feasible to work together on code with people who might insist on using matlab (when I use scilab/octave) ?
    It should be OK.

* Is there some tutorial for working together with matlab ?
    It is not exactly what you are looking for but it might help you :
    http://www.scilab.org/doc/demos_html/node265.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

i am quite sure you already stumbled across this:
    http://www.scilab.org/faqV1.2/faq1.2013.html

i tried to convert a few matlab scripts to scilab scripts and it didnt work well at all. it was basically reading some files and then doing some filtering and fft on it.

if you can manage to do just some basic matrix manipulation i think it works well together, everything beyond that might be quite tricky.

my knowlege in scilab is still quite limited but the differences are obvious and make it difficult to share scripts but the general syntax and even quite a big bunch of commands are the same.

Beans

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the code. Most of the code for octave is the same in matlab (note I said most code). So I suppose it cant be guaranteed. Some of the plotting is different but for what Ive done it works the same in both.

I use Koctave and mousepad to do all my octave/matlab programming, for some reason I dont like the text editor in koctave. If you want a matlab replacement you should use octave.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I don't know anything at all about Scilab, but I'm a mechanical engineering student and I use Octave exclusively for my "Matlab" assignments. I've never had any problems doing this, and I've even used it in group projects where other members of the team ran my code in Matlab without any trouble. I'm sure there are some things that aren't 100% compatible, but as long as you stick to basic operations and stay away from Matlab's proprietary functions (like ode45), you should be fine.

And I have no idea why any college would suggest using Matlab when there is an open source (therefore free, free, and peer reviewed) alternative. And I'm especially confused by college students who would rather spend $100 on a temporary license than download Octave for free, even after being shown the website, and even though there is now a pre-packaged Windows version. Must have more money than me.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by slimdog360 View Post
    I use Koctave and mousepad to do all my octave/matlab programming, for some reason I dont like the text editor in koctave. If you want a matlab replacement you should use octave.
    Mousepad? Blasphemy! Kate, with the embeded Konsole, is your friend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast