Thread: Battery life saving on Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3

Beans

Battery life saving on Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3

Hi,
    i've bought this Lenovo laptop that offers the possibility to limit the charge to a predefined level on Windows using their Lenovo Vantage software. What i noticed is that if i limit the charging on windows and than reboot on Linux the limit is still working and the charging stops at 60%. Is there a way to control it on Ubuntu too?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Battery life saving on Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3

I would assume that there is a setting in the BIOS/UEFI that the Win software is changing. So, on that premise, I wouldn't think that there is a Linux equivalent program.

I gotta ask though: why would you want the battery charge level to be different for Win and Linux?

Beans

i don't want that but there are occasions where i'm using linux and i know i'm gonna use the laptop with battery supply, so it would be more handy to be able to full charge the battery without rebooting to windows. plus i'm not bounded to have windows installed
    directy via bios there is not that option availabe

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kitcarson03 View Post
    i don't want that but there are occasions where i'm using linux and i know i'm gonna use the laptop with battery supply, so it would be more handy to be able to full charge the battery without rebooting to windows. plus i'm not bounded to have windows installed
    directy via bios there is not that option availabe
    You saying that you can't access the BIOS? If so, give us make and model of laptop....there is always a way to access the BIOS.

Beans

I CAN access the bios but there is no battery level limit option on it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kitcarson03 View Post
    Hi,
    i've bought this Lenovo laptop that offers the possibility to limit the charge to a predefined level on Windows using their Lenovo Vantage software. What i noticed is that if i limit the charging on windows and than reboot on Linux the limit is still working and the charging stops at 60%. Is there a way to control it on Ubuntu too?
    Thanks
    Hello, I have this laptop. If you are using GNOME, you can use the ideapad GNOME extension: ideapad mode - GNOME Shell Extensions.