Thread: Can not boot from my USB (Macbook Pro)

Beans

Question Can not boot from my USB (Macbook Pro)

I have a Macbook Pro (16inch 2019 version), and my goal is to have a dual boot system by installing Ubuntu 20.10.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to boot the computer from my ubuntu enabled USB drive. I would hold the "option" button while starting, and then see two options, my Mac OS hard disk and a EPI disk. I would choose the 2nd choice and let it boot from there. No matter how long I waited, I can only saw a black screen. I did hear some noise in the background though.

I tested the USB stick with my other computer (Dell XPS laptop), and it worked fine. I also logged into the Recovery mode (Command + R) and change the setting to allow bootable from external devices.

I wonder if anyone has success in booting from a USB stick on their Macbook Pro laptops?

Many thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Can not boot from my USB (Macbook Pro)

Ubuntu 20.10 (along with all flavors) is End-of-Life

- https://fridge.ubuntu.com/2021/07/25...-july-22-2021/
    - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

If you're planning to use the device off-line it won't matter, but I'd still recommend a supported release of Ubuntu (don't forget EOL media cannot access repositories of software as they're hardcoded for the address where supported releases store archives, so unless you manually overcome this experience may differ to what it was when release was supported).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can boot Ubuntu 20.04 LTS fine on mine, Macbook 13" (2007), made from Rufus with the EFI and GPT partition table options.

My lessons learned with MAC:

The important thing for MAC is that any USB Boot media has to be made with a GPT partition table or it will refuse to boot. It will not recognize MBR.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 27th, 2021 at 05:43 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Many thanks for the information.

Funny that Rufus can only run on Windows and Mac prefers that way of creating a bootable USB.

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I can boot Ubuntu 20.04 LTS fine on mine, Macbook 13" (2007), made from Rufus with the EFI and GPT partition table options.

My lessons learned with MAC:

The important thing for MAC is that any USB Boot media has to be made with a GPT partition table or it will refuse to boot. It will not recognize MBR.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Apple Hardware Users for a better fit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here is the instructions to do it form Mac Hardware:
    https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...cos#1-overview

See the 'note' they said about what they said on Mac's only booting media with a specific type of partition table, which they mention at the bottom of page #1, which I mentioned above was 'GPT' type partition tales.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags