Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Creating bootable USB to install Ubuntu 5.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Creating bootable USB to install Ubuntu 5.04

Can this not be run in VirtualBox then point the USB port to it? Else compile whatever software against current libs and such?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Can this not be run in VirtualBox then point the USB port to it? Else compile whatever software against current libs and such?
    That was what I was thinking... Or using KVM... That is exactly what I do if I need something off of an old Distro or ISO.

OR: Just mount and extract the ISO. The OP did not expand off what exactly he needs off that ISO...

I looked into that project development board... and the development kit that was distributed for it. That development kit, did not contain Debian Branch, but rather a specific old version of CentOS, so I am a bit confused of what he needs off of Ubuntu 5.04(???)

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

yancek - attempted your suggestion regarding cfg but the grub displayed as before during boot.
    iF THE other suggestions above don't work for you, post the menuentries you see in isolinux.cfg ot txt.cfg. Not sure which file is used. Maybe someone can figure out how to modify it to work with Grub2.

Beans

Purchased workstation in 2010 for the sole purpose of embedded development via Linux. Technical Manual states Ubuntu 5.04 and other Linux variants; so, my current version 16.04 is not compatible.

Beans

My earlier post states reason for installing old version of Linux; no intention to part install but install entire iSO.

Beans

The suggestion to post the menuentries is inducing complication so, I will either purchase CDs or use another Linux variant which I really do not wish for; but I do not wish to use VMs or CDs so, carpe diem and use another Linux variant.

Beans
    Hidden!

I tried with Unetbootin but failed. The computer booted from the USB boot drive, but after the first steps it wanted a CD. I could not make the installation continue.

Then I burned the iso file with k3b to a CD disk, and installing from the CD succeeded. Ubuntu 5.04 is running now in my old IBM Thinkpad T42. See the attached screenshot.

Edit: It may be difficult to run this version of Ubuntu in hardware developed after the release (April 2005), because the drivers provided might not work, and it is difficult to make newer drivers work with the old kernel. So I would recommend that you use an old computer for this task. a computer made before or around 2005.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sudodus; January 7th, 2022 at 01:50 AM.

Beans

Thank you, sudodus. Your statement regarding Unetbootin was exactly what I experienced. As mentioned my workstation for Linux was purchased in 2010. My first workstation was purchased in 2000 but sold since; otherwise, would have been perfect. So, I do not have another workstation acquired before 2010. I will just have to see what happens booting from CD or use another Linux variant. Need to locate CDs somewhere in one of thirty boxes or purchase new.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by puremathematics View Post
    Thank you, sudodus. Your statement regarding Unetbootin was exactly what I experienced. As mentioned my workstation for Linux was purchased in 2010. My first workstation was purchased in 2000 but sold since; otherwise, would have been perfect. So, I do not have another workstation acquired before 2010. I will just have to see what happens booting from CD or use another Linux variant. Need to locate CDs somewhere in one of thirty boxes or purchase new.
    I don't know if this suggestion will be of any use what so ever
    Have you tried PLOP Boot manager?
    https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/full.html

I had to clone the OS (XP) on a 2004 PC recently to replace the 17 year old HDD. The BIOS did not have the facility to boot from a USB and PLOP corrected that.
    I used it off a CD ,but I believe you can install it on the MBR.
    Ubuntu 23.10

Beans

Thank you, I will attempt. The attached is a list of distributions supporting the host environment. I burnt Fedora Core 3 to USB via Unetbootin and upon boot, insisted on CD. I suspect none of the distributions accommodate boot from USB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast