Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to repair a USB stick on Ubuntu 20.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How to repair a USB stick on Ubuntu 20.04?

USB sticks die all the time.....and without warning. NEVER trust and single means to backup anything important! Myself, I have 2 backups at home and a third one offsite at my mother's place.

As for your USB stick, there is probably nothing that you can do at this point to save anything on it. I have heard people say that if you put them in a freezer for an hour or two, you may be able to get it to work briefly. If that works for you, and I sincerely doubt that it will, get your stuff off of it quickly, buy a new USB stick, and bury that one.

Beans

The USB stick I used on my laptop, running Ubuntu 20.04, is no longer recognized after I copied some files on it from the hard drive. It does not show up when I stick it into the USB port and it also wasn't recognized on a Windows computer.
    USB drives fail all the time without warning. Since it was previously working on Ubuntu anyhow as you were able to write those files to it, it doesn't seem likely that there is any relationship between writing files from your hard drive to the USB from Ubuntu. If you have tried using different usb ports on both Ubuntu and windows and get no response, that is a pretty good sign of failure. If you don't get any positive response from the following commands relating to the usb, it is a pretty sure sign the drive is dead.

sudo fdisk -l
    sudo blkid
    sudo lsblk
    Also, the parted command suggested above.

Beans

The USB stick has indeed given up the ghost. I just cannot get it to be recognized. The USB stick only had data files on it, light stuff (PDFs and LibreOffice docs). I have back ups, except for a few paragraphs in a current doc I am working on but I shall be more careful now that you all have confirmed the fragile nature of such sticks. Are those small metal jet flash sticks any sturdier?

Beans
    Hidden!

SSDs are sturdier, and there are USB SSDs, but the cheapest way to use an SSD via USB is probably to buy a 'small' SATA SSD (or two) and a USB 3 to SATA adapter.

There are also sturdier USB pendrives, but they are very expensive.

Beans

Thanks for the info. I just found this Wired article about good USB pendrives, but it does not explain how to format them for Ubuntu, for some reason...

https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-usb-flash-drives/

Beans

Does the device show up if you run
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l

Beans
    Hidden!

How do you want to format them for Ubuntu? It depends on how you intend to use the drive.

- As Ubuntu-only data storage?
    - As Ubuntu-and-Windows data storage?
    - As Ubuntu-and-Windows-and-MacOS data storage?

- As Ubuntu live drive or Ubuntu installer drive?
    - As Ubuntu persistent live drive?
    - As Ubuntu installed system in USB drive?

Beans

Primarily to store PDFs, LibreOffice docs, word docs and jpegs on.

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    How do you want to format them for Ubuntu? It depends on how you intend to use the drive.

- As Ubuntu-only data storage?
    - As Ubuntu-and-Windows data storage?
    - As Ubuntu-and-Windows-and-MacOS data storage?

- As Ubuntu live drive or Ubuntu installer drive?
    - As Ubuntu persistent live drive?
    - As Ubuntu installed system in USB drive?

Beans
    Hidden!

If you want Windows access, it should be OK with the old-style FAT32 file system (max file size 4 GB should be no problem with such files), or if you want a better file system, NTFS.

If you need only Linux access, you can use the ext4 file system.

You can [install and] use gparted to create a partition table if necessary, a partition and the file system you want in the partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    If you want Windows access, it should be OK with the old-style FAT32 file system (max file size 4 GB should be no problem with such files), or if you want a better file system, NTFS.

If you need only Linux access, you can use the ext4 file system.

You can [install and] use gparted to create a partition table if necessary, a partition and the file system you want in the partition.
    Pardon the uninformed question, but if I buy a pendrive then do I need to always format it, unlike a regular USB stick?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast