Thread: Software update won't upgrade from 20.04 to 21.04

Beans

Software update won't upgrade from 20.04 to 21.04

I've seen there's an issue with upgrading to 21.04. Software updater just immediately exits when I click upgrade. I'm assuming the problem still exist, yes? Is there any ETA on it being a safe thing to do? Tnx.

Beans

Re: Software update won't upgrade from 20.04 to 21.04

Quote Originally Posted by jrcj38 View Post
    I've seen there's an issue with upgrading to 21.04. Software updater just immediately exits when I click upgrade. I'm assuming the problem still exist, yes? Is there any ETA on it being a safe thing to do? Tnx.
    I just checked on my own 20.04 - I don't see that problem. After the "Upgrade" button, the Software Updater window will close, but you should get another window with release notes. If that does not appear, you could try using the alternative "do-release-upgrade" command in the terminal and see if that gets the upgrade going.
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Tried do-release-upgrade. Response was "Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading." Using apt-get I updated the list then ran the upgrade. Did both twice to make sure. Retried do-release-upgrade and am getting the same response from it. Something isn't right in the installed software database I think. Not sure what.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

So, when you run sudo apt update, does it tell you that no more upgrades are available? If not, show the complete output of sudo apt upgrade.

Beans

You might want to try "apt full-upgrade"

Beans

This may be an issue. The reply to both impavidus and rsteinmetz70112 is as follows;

root@sr01:~# apt upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
    libodbc1
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

So, one upgrade wasn't installed, either because a dependency is unavailable or it requires removal of a different package. It happens, most commonly because there may be unofficial software sources on your system. Maybe
    Code:
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    will upgrade that package, but it may have undesired side effects. You can abort if you don't like it. Show us what it intends to do anyway.

If this doesn't fix the issue, can you show
    Code:
    apt-cache policy libodbc1

Beans

I don't usually do upgrades but rather new install so I'm not sure about the methods suggested above. 20.04 is an LTS release, 21.4 is not. You should be able to upgrade from one LTS (20.04) to the next LTS (22.04) but it hasn't been released yet so you need to go from release 20.04 to 20.10 to 21.04 as I understand it.

Beans

Success! The item in question, libodbc1, was a 32 bit generic database interface. I have a number of 32 bit libraries because I run something with helper apps that are still 32 bit. I couldn't see why the helpers would need a full blown database shim so I deleted it. The upgrade worked and does the program with the 32 bit helpers. In fact I got some functionality back with 21.04 Thank you all for your assistance.