Thread: Brightness adjustment doesn't work

Beans

Brightness adjustment doesn't work

Hello Ubuntu masters,
    Greetings!

I'm having trouble with my ubuntu 20.04 running on dell xps 13 9310. The brightness adjustment seem to be not working. I already modified the grub file with the following line but still not working.
    I'd like to check with you guys if you already encountered this case. If so, can you share some info on how to get rid with this? Thanks in advance!

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    Last edited by deadflowr; December 3rd, 2021 at 07:43 PM. Reason: reset font; added code tags

Beans

Re: Brightness adjustment doesn't work

stupid question...does the brightness control key on the keyboard also not work?

i'm thinking way back some time i had a laptop that for some reason the brightness control was set to off in BIOS...
    have a look at BIOS settings for something to do with brightness
    Last edited by T6&sfpER35%; December 3rd, 2021 at 07:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's unclear if you reloaded/updated grub?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In my ignorance I do not understand how adding a command to change the configuration of Grub would solve this problem. Surely the place to look is with the Linux configuration. After all, Linux is the operating system. But here is the issue. There are several command line utilities that can be installed to configure screen brightness but they only work on the X-Server and not on a Wayland compositor.

In Ubuntu 20.04 the place to make adjustments is System Settings>Power. On my desktop machine I do not get a slider to make screen brightness adjustments. Things might be different for a laptop. It could also be that I need to make an adjustment in the machine's BIOS (it is an old machine and recently was put back to a default configuration and that could be the reason for no option to change screen brightness). So, I support the above given advice to look in the UEFI settings.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

@3Nd -- Stupid question??? Well, I thank you for that

The control on the keyboard doesn't work. Of course, I checked on the BIOS. Thanks for your response. LOL

Beans

deadflowr -- I just tried this one -> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....0#post12126780

Beans

grahammechanical -- Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. I'm new to linux and trying to learn to solve things with my own machine. I just switched from Windows to Linux and trying to learn new things here.
    Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Display too bright?
    Code:
    $ xgamma -gamma 0.8
    Display too dim?
    Code:
    $ xgamma -gamma 1.2
    Reset to original value.