Thread: Creating service for particular user

Beans

Question Creating service for particular user

Hi community,

I am absolute beginner with ubuntu. I created service to run a piece of code( bash script ). I want to get current active window using script, used xdotool package for this.

Code to get current active window name is
    Code:
    xdotool getactivewindow getwindowname
    . When I run this code in terminal, I am getting the output whatever be the current active window name of logged in user. I want to run this script automatically so I created service.

When I copy this code in executable file which gets executed by service I created, It is giving window is null because services are run by root and there is no window belongs to root user. Code is trying to get current active window name of root user but I need whoever logged in user current active window name. How can we create service that can be run by particular local user instead of root user?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Creating service for particular user

in the service you can define a user and group field.

Code:
    [Service]
    User = root
    Group = root
    Those can be changed. I'm not sure it would work though for the same reason that most commands involving a gui don't work during su. No display variable set.

Beans

Re: Creating service for particular user

Thanks for reply.

Above settings won't work as per my requirement. By changing above settings, we can enable and disable the service with those users.

I did try for various things to create service per user.

Please go through below link. If you are able to create service per user, Please share it how can we do it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Sys...r#How_it_works
    Last edited by kilbha; December 4th, 2021 at 05:03 AM.