Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No terminal there

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: No terminal there

As deadflowr said, try the default Ctrl+Alt+T key combination. It should invoke the terminal emulator.

There are many reasons that make it seem that you don't have a terminal emulator. Off the top of my head:

• You simply uninstalled them
    • You somehow removed their desktop entries
    • Your installation might be broken

As far as I can tell, you like to fiddle with your system. At least, the fact that you cannot, for whatever reason, switch back to tty7 suggests that. I'd advise you to read and educate yourself before you pass some commands to the shell.

Also, you did not tell us whether you have GNOME Terminal installed. Please check out my previous reply and see if you can find the appropriate files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Didn't Ubuntu move the GUI tty to tty1? That means <c><a>-F1 will return to the GUI. It was F7 for a very long time. I don't know why.

gdm3 is required for Gnome3 to be used as the DE. For other DEs (LXQt, Mate, KDE), other display managers (which is an odd term to me, since they feel more like login managers) are used. Gnome3+ is tightly coupled to gdm3, so other DMs cannot be used.

All this is confusing. So many choices and some are mandatory while others can be selected by the sys admin for the install.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Honestly, I have no idea either. It's F7 on my Focal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kbar View Post
    Honestly, I have no idea either. It's F7 on my Focal.
    New install or upgrade? Sometimes our upgrades retain old settings. I've noticed that netplan can be avoided on systems upgraded with ifupdown there. Not relevant to this thread, just an example. IDK.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    New install or upgrade?
    It was a fresh installation back in May. I don't usually do upgrades.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1059...-one-elsewhere might help the OP understand to switch to a different tty, restart the gdm and get a GUI there. Again, gdm is for Gnome3. Other DMs (display managers) can usually be used with all the other DEs (desktop environments).

Don't know if anyone cares, but running with a GUI and a DE is completely optional. Below the DE is something called a WM - Window Manager. This is the thing that controls the windows and controls (those resize and buttons in the corners). Again, Gnome3 is tightly coupled to a specific WM, I don't know the name, but most of the other WMs and DEs can use any compliant ICCCM-compliant WM.

Openbox, fluxbox, fvwm, mwm, i3 are all WMs. I use fvwm without any DE to get the proper mix of usability and lightness. fvwm has some quirks, but the ability to customize it for any needs via a little perl is freakishly AWESOME! Openbox is fairly simple and has an XML-based config file which can be customized, somewhat. Most new users probably want a DE, so there is a menu in the expected place. Distros built around a DE will also include some setting application to make a GUI-way to tweak the interface settings. That's probably a good thing for the non-hard-core users of the world.

Beans

Thanks to all.

> [COLOR=#000000]gdm3 is required for Gnome3 to be used as the DE.
    Any help to the following?

2a.jpg
    Last edited by slickymaster; December 3rd, 2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: removed large image

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It doesn't answer your question directly, but I highly recommend reading these books and tutorials:

The acquired knowledge will help you greatly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

@peter-1984:

Please do not post large images into your posts. Many of our users have slow internet connections and data limits. Large images can take a long time to load -- and may even cost a user extra money. Use the attachment functionality provided by the paperclip button above the text entry box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu uses gdm3 but it's not strict. It can use any other display manager.
    Other desktops like Xubuntu use lightdm, but that too is not strict.
    Kubuntu and Lubuntu use sddm. And again, same as above.

As the Op has gdm3 installed then they can set it as the login display manager by running
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
    select the option for gdm3 and toggle to the Okay.
    (basically up down to selection the option wanted and left right will move to the Okay button)
    After that reboot as it's easier than reloading since sometimes reloading fails when switching the display manager.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast