Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No terminal there

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No terminal there

Personally, I think the best solution for this situation is a fresh install. Either that or the OP providing more complete information as has been requested.

Based on the first screenshot image it seems that the desktop environment is Gnome 3 shell. The Ubuntu dock is missing. Even with the dock set to auto-hide it still remains on the screen when Activities is clicked. Byobu is a terminal (but much more than a simple terminal). It used to be a default part of a Ubuntu installation years ago. As was Xterm. But Xterm is for the X-Server. And the X-server has not been the default for Ubuntu since 21.04. So, I am not surprised it is not installed on my Ubuntu 20.04.

If Gnome terminal is installed it should be possible to load it by right clicking the wallpaper and selecting Open in Terminal. I suspect that Gnome terminal is not installed. I also doubt that the system has wallpaper.

Based on the two other screenshots I think that this is a server install and the OP has added stuff to it. But not added the full Gnome 3 shell desktop environment.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 3rd, 2021 at 11:43 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks to all.
    Graham,
    Yes, this is server version and it is fresh setup as well. How to ensure Gnome terminal is there to use?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peter-1984 View Post
    Yes, this is server version and it is fresh setup as well. How to ensure Gnome terminal is there to use?
    Server installs don't have GUI programs installed by default. If you add GUI stuff to the server, then it is your responsibility to add whatever you need.
    If you want a GUI, best to just install a normal desktop with a DE to start.

Most DEs have a meta package that adds the full desktop for that DE with all the dependencies ... look for {DE}-desktop in the package manager. From a non-GUI setup, you can search for packages like that using
    Code:
    apt-cache search '\-desktop$'
    That returns many options. This works too:
    Code:
    apt search '\-desktop$'
    The search term is really "-desktop", but it needs to be regex safe. I added the end-of-line requirement, $, so lots of other packages with desktop in the middle of the name don't get shown in the list.

Beans

Command below does not do proper setup for terminal, right?

apt search '\-desktop$'

what should be done to have proper terminal available?
    Last edited by peter-1984; December 4th, 2021 at 07:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you change something since you posted any of your screenshots?
    As those clearly show you have the desktop installed and the default display manager as well.
    It really doesn't matter how the initial install was done, as you added the desktop at some point.
    How did you install the desktop?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

GNOME Terminal can be installed with this command:

Code:
    sudo apt install gnome-terminal
    Quote Originally Posted by peter-1984 View Post
    Command below does not do proper setup for terminal, right?

apt search '\-desktop$'

what should be done to have proper terminal available?
    Again, I suggest you read the books and tutorials the links to which I provided earlier.

The command above doesn't install a terminal. It just searches the official Ubuntu repositories for names and descriptions of packages that cointain that particular regular expression.

If you want help, you better be open for suggestions and actually read what people say to you.

To have a proper terminal emulator, first, determine what exactly you want to achieve on your server (you failed to mention that throughout your thread). There are tons of terminal emulators out there. After that, you'd want to have a shell, such as bash, csh, ksh or dash.

Hopefully, people that have experience of working with servers will help you further and you can sort this out (once you actually do what they ask and tell).
    Last edited by KBar; December 4th, 2021 at 09:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

In post#22, OP clarified that this is a server installation.
    That being so, to add to the above advice I suggest installing webmin which runs on port 10000 and offers a terminal in the browser. Look for Custom Commands.

Typically in local desktop mode I can run .. https://localhost:10000 .. to bring up webmin menu in browser. For a remote server give webmin the server IP address.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    In post#22, OP clarified that this is a server installation.
    It took 20+ replies and even then, someone else had to guess and ask if their guess was correct.

Beans

CTRL + ALT + T will fire up a terminal for you

Beans

Personally I like guake. The terminal shows and hides with a shortcut key

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast