Page 381 of 389 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382383 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,810 of 3890

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Windows refugee that has just landed on the shores of linux

Hello all, I am a life long user of windows that had to flee because of appalling privacy/security vulnerabilities. I still have hope that I can return to windows one day.

I installed Ubuntu this morning, and have spent the day trying to become more familiar with the operating system. For decades I thought of Linux was an obscure operating system for geeks, I have always been a bit of a geek myself so its ironic that I have just now made the switch to Linux.

I had to ditch Windows 10 because my computer got owned. The story around this is completely insane, things like who was monitoring me and why.

I have read some things on the web that claim moving to Ubuntu is futile given that my machine has already been owned on windows 10.

I am not looking to the community for all the answers. I will continue to study, and learn as much as I can, however if somebody could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful. I am not a total novice today I have been learning about the command terminal and things such as 'w' 'who' 'iftop' 'netstat' 'history'.

My goal is to contribute to a safe, and enjoyable computing experience for everyone without extreme paranoia that they are being observed.

Beans

Re: Windows refugee that has just landed on the shores of linux

This forum is an excellent source of information and help and I would suggest tht in the future, if you have specific questions, you ask them here.

The link below takes you to the official Ubuntu site for documentation on Ubuntu. One thing I would suggest is that you stay with the LTS (Long Term Support) version which is always the version released in April of even years, currently 20.04.

https://help.ubuntu.com/

The link below has some instructions on using a terminal and the command line.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/command...ers#1-overview

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Welcome to the forum @skoggo. As you didn't have a support question I've moved your post and yancek's reply into the welcome thread. Good luck with your use of Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Welcome

I have been using Linux/Ubuntu since 2007. I have one machine. I am a home user, an ordinary user. The phrase "Ubuntu for humans" used to be used years ago. It would be a misunderstanding to view Ubuntu users as technical people highly skilled in computer security. There are members of this forum who are very experienced in computer server systems and security at both the corporate and personal level. But there are also many members like myself who are just personal computer users who through experience have learned a thing or two.

By all means study Linux to assure yourself of the security measures that are coded into Linux. Confirm the response that Linux developers take when security vulnerabilities are revealed. But also remember that criminals like easy pickings. They target the operating system that has many millions of users many of whom lack any understanding of security precautions. If it was worth their time and effort criminals would target Linux. Then we might not feel as secure as we do.

In this page please find the heading Updates and Security.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2467687

Regular updates are essential for safety

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Greetings,

I used gentoo for a couple of years. When my hard drive cratered I got lazy and installed ububtu 20.04.3. Love it, I assume ******* still boots, haven't booted it in quite a while. I'm 66 years old and living alone, I like it that way.

See you in the forums.

--glenn

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

psychohermit; Hello - Welcome to the Forum

Good that you made it our way.
    Coming from Gentoo I expect next for your learning curve is to learn our package management system, apt.

We are here to help over any rough spots.

the more you know ........
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Me and my Macbook Air are happy again

Luckily Apple quit support for my Macbook Air bought in 2011. I could not update the OS and got complains when installing other tools (e.g. language compilers) freely available. It really made me angry.
    I first looked into Xubuntu but things did not seem to run smoothly. Then I gave Ubuntu a try and ... what a pleasure and success: My beloved computer feels like brand new.
    The installation went smoothly. And I found good replacements for all software I need. Most issues I encountered (e.g. enabling external DVD drive) I could solve myself with help from the internet. And it also feels much more transparent than MacOS. I never really got comfortable with it. I feel joy working in this new environment.
    I am quite keen to dive deeper into the Linux and open-source world.
    Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Welcome zeroidnull:

Enjoy your Ubuntu journey.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I am new here.

Hi, I am new here and user of ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I am new here.

Hello johnchristopher -

Welcome to the Forum.

A a new user I am sure you will have questions - here we deem the only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

-we are here to help-
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 381 of 389 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382383 ... LastLast