Looks like you are getting good help already. I didn't notice all the posts until I'd written this, walked away, came back. Anyway, I'd already written it. Feel free to ignore it completely.

To be pedantic, "automount" is something very specific in Unix/Linux. There is a daemon that handles mounting on an "as-needed" basis, then it removes the mount when they aren't needed anymore. "ubuntu autofs" are the search terms for this. autofs is the same across all Linux (and probably Unix). I use it for all USB and networked storage, since those connections are flaky.

But I don't think you are interested in autofs. Sounds like you just want a simple /etc/fstab setup to mount storage at boot, before any users have logged in. I'm not a fan of using UUIDs for external storage mounts. I much prefer LABELs, since humans think in those terms much easier. gparted can set a LABEL on a partition. Https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post14048909 explains how to use the LABEL= for mounts.
Code:
LABEL=Extern3TB       /media/unknowable/3TB    ext4    nofail,noatime,errors=remount-ro  0 2
Hope that helps. Do not mount storage under a user's HOME directory. There will be problems. Actually, we shouldn't mount it under /media/ either, but that's one of the "bless" areas for snap packages to access, so we can be practical (so it works) or we can be "right" (and snaps will never be allowed to access a more "correct" location.

I see reference to NTFS. You should probably format the partition to use ext4 instead of whatever the USB HDD came with. gparted can do that. NTFS may not be the best choice. It seldom is for a number of reasons. NTFS brings permission issues for Linux. But if you must use it, I suppose it can work. Linux prefers native file systems. They are better supported with expected capabilities, not reverse engineered and faster. Linux can use enterprise storage volume managers with native storage too, but that choice has to be made BEFORE the file system. If you use NTFS, chown, chmod, chgrp, will never work with anything in that storage area. But if you use ext4 or any other native Linux file system, all those permission/owner/group commands and ACLs plus xattrs will work as Linux programs expect.