Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebooting Via 'REISUB' Doesn't Work

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Rebooting Via 'REISUB' Doesn't Work

That sounds weird, as none of those keys is the SysRq key. But if it works ...

Another issue that may happen with this SysRq use is with non-qwerty keyboards. If you use a non-qwerty keyboard, use the keys where REISUB would have been if it were a qwerty-keyboard.

The short delay between the keys is to give the software time to respond. If you're too fast, you may get damaged files. The functions of the keys are:
    R - Switch the keyboard from raw mode to XLATE mode. I'm not sure what that means exactly.
    E - Send the terminate signal to all processes except init. This is a kind request for those processes to terminate, giving them opportunity to save files. They may need some time for this.
    I - Send the kill signal to all processes except init. This terminates all remaining processes (except init) immediately.
    S - Sync, flushes all file changes to permanent storage. This may take some time.
    U - Remount filesystems in read-only mode. This blocks further writes to the filesystem.
    B - Reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Rebooting Via 'REISUB' Doesn't Work

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    R - Switch the keyboard from raw mode to XLATE mode. I'm not sure what that means exactly.
    XLATE stands for translate and is an ASCII mode.

kbd_mode(1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12