Thread: Difference between Ubuntu with installed KDE and Kubuntu

Beans

Difference between Ubuntu with installed KDE and Kubuntu

Hi
    I tried out Kubuntu as separate OS, and I've tried out the normal Ubuntu with afterwards installed KDE using the command

sudo apt install kde-full

So now I wonder, what's the difference between them? Between a few very subtle design differences, from what I saw so far chatrandomshagle. (I didn't test it out very deeply. my Linux knowledge is not huge)
    Thanks

Last edited by orvid5047; December 8th, 2021 at 08:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Difference between Ubuntu with installed KDE and Kubuntu

If you install the package kubuntu-desktop into standard Ubuntu, you with have Kubuntu's desktop environment plus the program selection of Kubuntu alongside ubuntu-desktop of standard Ubuntu Desktop.

You installed kde-full into standard Ubuntu Desktop. This is a slightly different desktop environment (mainly some settings and probably also wallpaper files etc differ) and I think also a different selection of programs.

There will be double tools for some tasks (for example file browser and terminal emulator), so some extra drive space will be occupied which is not a big issue nowadays with big drives. You will also be able to select 'session' at the log in screen between the Gnome desktop of Ubuntu and the KDE desktop.

But it is not easy to get rid of one of the desktop environments. If you try, you may break the desktop environment that you want to keep. So consider adding a desktop environment irreversible. (This is different from adding many simple program packages, that can easily be removed.)

Beans

Re: Difference between Ubuntu with installed KDE and Kubuntu

The difference is two fried eggs vs two scrambled eggs.