Thread: GNOME extensions for time in 21.10 Not Happy

Beans

GNOME extensions for time in 21.10 Not Happy

I'm not a Linux or Ubuntu power user. I'm a plodder. I like to do set & forget and I do some forgetting when it comes to Linux/Ubuntu.

I first used Unix 30 years & decided to get into Linux in 2011.

Unaware of the Unity controversy, against advice from the IT guy at work who suggested I use Linux Mint I installed Ubuntu 11.04 around mid 2011.

I used Unity until it was officially abandoned for GNOME. I didn't mind Unity. I adapted to it, the same way I have adapted to GNOME.

GNOME has features I don't like, such as the location & format of the time and date. I discovered GNOME extensions and installed Frippery Clock Move & Clock Override. Lovely!! I get the date & time where I want it and in a format I like. Great!! One happy Ubuntu user.

Always wanting to be up to date I installed Ubuntu 21.10. Disaster! Frippery Clock Move & Clock Override no longer work. I'm stuck with time and date in the middle of the top of the screen and the format is in loathsome US format. Not happy!

I managed to get Frippery clock move working and the date and time are in the location where I want it to be, over to the right of the screen. The date format is still in the loathsome US format.

Why do I have to struggle to get a look that I want? I don't want much. All I want is for the time and date to be over to the right and in a format I like. The even more loathsome Microsoft Windows, for all the decades that I used it allowed me to have the date and time format that I liked, but not Ubuntu. With every upgrade I have to reestablish everything. Why? Why does it have to be so difficult? Why can't I just set and forget?

After having used, or should that be preserved, with Ubuntu for 10 years, with Unity and GNOME, why should I continue using Ubuntu? Particularly Ubuntu GNOME. I am seriously considering abandoning Ubuntu and installing something else. I definitely will not be giving a donation for Ubuntu 21.10. I've had enough. I'm tired of being taken for granted and I'm tired of the effort to get something as small as the time and date where I want it and in a format I want. I'm not surprised if Linux has the small market share that it does if a major distro such as Ubuntu can't provide something as simple as this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: GNOME extensions for time in 21.10 Not Happy

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

The Forum Feedback & Help sub-forum is for "Report(ing) technical problems with the website ... (i.e. broken features), or ask(ing) questions pertaining to forum features." (Sub-forum tagline).
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

If you are a "plodder" as you said then you should stick with LTS. The latest LTS is 20.04.

Beans

Date-time format can be customized with Clock Override gnome-shell extension. But, it has not yet been updated for Gnome 40 or higher. Use 20.04 or 21.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Pardon me for saying that your complaints sound like small beer.

Power user here. And even I have had to adapt to Ubuntu's string of changes, dead ends, obscurities, arcaneries, oddities and limitations. Some bells and whistles just aren't worth the investment of my blood, sweat and tears.

So, I can understand and even sympathize (a bit) with your complaints.

But as to your larger conclusion? You've lost me.

I cannot muster any outrage over time and date placement. I cannot get worked up about Frippery Clock. Seems to me like a tempest in a teapot.

And if you feel that such small beer is worth abandoning Ubuntu, then it's entirely up to you to do so. Always has been. Unlike the walled jails of the proprietary vendors, there's never been any coercive element holding you to the Ubuntu‑sphere. No trillion dollar Godzilla breathing radioactive flames threatening hellfire and damnation if, for example, you don't pair their browser to their OS. This sort of proprietary coercion puts your whole clock placement problem in a different perspective, no? That's the whole point of FOSS really. You take it or leave it or—even better—change it entirely at your own volition.

But in case the following have somehow escaped you, a few observations:

1. In Ubuntu, I can change my DE at will. I can go from Gnome to KDE to LxQT to XFCE to Budgie to any of several dozen DEs at the drop of a hat. All for the price of a quick download. Good luck changing your DE when you go back to Windows or Apple.
    2. With Linux, I can disassemble my kernel, change it, reassemble it and even publicly post that change at will. Try doing that with Windows or Apple and you will get sued.
    3. I've never been attacked, victimized or compromised by scumbags while using Linux, whereas I've had to devote half of my computing resources to running antivirus, antimalware, antibiotics and antihistamines while mired in the proprietary stuff. You want to go back to all of that? Be my guest.
    4. The overall power, flexibility and freedom that I have with Linux makes the other proprietary stuff look like bad sad jokes. I'm able to do things in Linux that are not remotely feasible in proprietary space, like LXD sandboxing, native library translations with WINE and kernel customization. All at no charge. All without having to agree to obscene conditions as it they are doing me the world's biggest favour just letting me use their precious OS.

So, if you want to abandon all of this because you are fed up with your clock placement, then hey, your call.

And if you want to be part of the herd, feeling happier with big market share, then Linux is definitely not your cat. It is and will always be a geek's OS that requires patience, perseverance and a big learning curve. It has no interest in sacrificing its power or flexibility for eye candy, which naturally precludes it from consideration by the masses who value eye candy over power and flexibility. I for one wouldn't want it any other way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Look in the settings Region & Language tab and change the format to another country than the US. I use as language US English, but as format I choose my own country, so I have the currency and date format I like. There is even an open box in that Format Window, that allows you to define your own date/time format.

Beans

Just my two cents on this but instead of leaving Ubuntu all together, you could switch to another Ubuntu flavor like Ubuntu Bugie, Ubuntu Mate and so on or the like were you are not relying on gnome extensions for date and time placement and formatting. Just a thought. Check it out at this URL: https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours
    This way you can find a DE that works best for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you liked Unity, you should check out this website, https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/ins...t-ubuntu-20-04
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for bringing this matter into the time space continuum. I use my cell phone to keep up with time because that is where it is organized and it is more available and convenient than my pc. In the interim I will try to find time to keep an eye on this Ubuntu time format matter and if it isn't promptly fixed to my liking I will jump right back over to the other side off the fence. Or not! Hold it! I don't use 22.10 I use 22.04 which hasn't released yet so I don't care how its' time is formatted. Oh! there it is, right up there in the center of the top of the display. I can see what you mean. It's not quite right. Especially the dingy bell thingy, what ever that is for. Its 1130PM and the Denver Broncos just lost to Kansas City. Looks like me and you ain't the only ones with clock problems.
    Last edited by zebra2; December 6th, 2021 at 01:16 PM.