Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evolution instead of Thunderbird

Beans

Evolution instead of Thunderbird

Hi all,

New user here.

Transition from ms/windows to Ubuntu has so far gone pretty well.

(Having fleed outlook) I've had more head scratching with email client than I'd expected...

I set up accounts and transferred emails reasonably trouble free the other day but when I came back to it to set up email signatures I discovered that thunderbird is very poor in that respect

Had a bit of a read and saw Evolution appeared better on that front so downloaded and had a play and sure enough it was, so up in the early hours setting up accounts and transferring inboxes/sent boxes and of course doing my various signatures.

Having been pleasantly surprised by Ubuntu, Libreoffice (Calc, Writer and Base), Gimp, Scribus and LibreCAD I was caught out a bit by the issue with email client but sorted now and onward with the journey

Any other Evolution users out there or is it just me...
    Last edited by mjetrying; November 28th, 2021 at 10:18 AM.

Beans

Re: Evolution instead of Thunderbird

I prefer MailSpring, good luck with your Linux journey.

Beans

I may have a look at Mailspring. Although I'm not sure I fancy moving email client again!! Unless it is an easy setup/import process into Mailspring?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog01 View Post
    I may have a look at Mailspring. Although I'm not sure I fancy moving email client again!! Unless it is an easy setup/import process into Mailspring?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mjetrying View Post
    I find most e-mail clients to be much to my liking.

I switched from Evolution to Thunderbird a few years ago because I didn't like Evolution's decision to go to a monolithic database. T-Bird still uses the old sqlite databases, which may be more "primitive" but are also easier to recover data from using other tools. I just like that aspect of simplicity. It's not a big consideration, and with proper backups, neither client is risky.

Since you are new to Linux/Ubuntu, I would recommend against oddball clients though, especially non-FOSS ones. Only use clients from the Canonical repos. Your e-mail is not something you want to be using unsupported, obscure or outside apps for (MailSpring is not in the repos—frankly, I've never heard of it till now). Linux is not Windows and the first rule of Linux safety is: don't drag bad old Windows/Apple habits into the ecosystem. You may find the link in my sig useful: Linux is Not Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I find most e-mail clients to be much to my liking.

I switched from Evolution to Thunderbird a few years ago because I didn't like Evolution's decision to go to a monolithic database. T-Bird still uses the old sqlite databases, which may be more "primitive" but are also easier to recover data from using other tools. I just like that aspect of simplicity. It's not a big consideration, and with proper backups, neither client is risky.

Since you are new to Linux/Ubuntu, I would recommend against oddball clients though, especially non-FOSS ones. Only use clients from the Canonical repos. Your e-mail is not something you want to be using unsupported, obscure or outside apps for (MailSpring is not in the repos—frankly, I've never heard of it till now). Linux is not Windows and the first rule of Linux safety is: don't drag bad old Windows/Apple habits into the ecosystem. You may find the link in my sig useful: Linux is Not Windows.
    Thank you for the advice. Is Evolution OK to stick with?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog01 View Post

This client is not only an obscure oddball but, to my knowledge, doesn't even have a Linux implementation. It's not even FOSS.

If you don't understand Linux, you really should not be imparting potentially dangerous advice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is Evolution OK to stick with?
    For sure. There's nothing wrong with Evolution. It's a good client, has a good user base and is under active development. Using it has the advantage of allowing Gnome to display calendars from CalDAV and WebDAV providers too, although that may be an unneeded option for you.

Another reason that I stick with T-Bird is that it's the default client in an Ubuntu install. I really don't like departing from the defaults because I've found that any departure increases problems with OS upgrades. So, I'd rather accommodate myself to the quirks of the app than continually install apps that might give me an extra 1% bells and whistles, but could just be storing up problems for later.

However, I'm atypical. If you ask the old timers around here, they will warn you that I have a bad reputation for an outrageous level of safety and conservatism.

If you've already made the commitment to Evolution, I see no reason for you to change. If you want to try out T-Bird or Sylpheed or any other (proper!) alternative, you can have two (or more) email clients on your system with no problems. It's just a bit of extra work setting up two instead of one. You can then see which you prefer.

A further reminder: my own cursory investigation of MailSpring shows that it is a Windows app, not a Linux one. Therefore, the above suggestion is more than a little strange. As a person starting out in Linux, it is very important to not install outside apps into Ubuntu until you become a seasoned Linux user and know how to protect yourself. The reason that Windows is such a malware cesspool is because too many of its users jump at installing unknown apps from i.pwn.you.com into their computers like a toddler reaching for poisoned candy.

Beans

I used thunderbird initially, only made the change because i couldn't get the signatures sorted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I used thunderbird initially, only made the change because i couldn't get the signatures sorted.
    I don't have any problems building sigs in T-Bird, but mine are very simple. I am familiar with people who have rather complex corporate signatures and who have no problem with them in T-Bird. If you want to explore T-Bird signatures, I would suggest that you start another thread for that specific topic.

However, as already mentioned, if you are happy with Evolution, then it's a good client and you shouldn't feel obligated to change. If you want to run T-Bird side by side with it just for kicks and giggles, that's an easy option to implement, but don't do it because of any real need.

Good luck and happy Ubuntu-ing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast