Thread: Cannot copy/paste between Linux system and FreeNAS. What is the problem?

Beans

Cannot copy/paste between Linux system and FreeNAS. What is the problem?

Hello,

I have Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS installed and have been using it for some time. I have a NAS through FreeNAS. I have been using the NAS with all of my devices including Ubuntu without any problems. However, recently, something changed on the Linux system only. I cannot use copy and paste between the Linux system and the FreeNAS.

I have verified the permissions on the FreeNAS. When I click on "Copy" on a NAS file in Ubuntu "Files" and then right click on Desktop, the "Paste" option is greyed out, indicating that the copy did not work or register. Same thing happens if I "Copy" file from say Ubuntu Desktop, and go to the NAS folder, the "Paste" option is greyed out.

One important note is that when I use "Copy To", a window opens that prompts me to select where I want to copy the file. This works for both of the above situations and using "Copy To" or "Move To", I can transfer data between Ubuntu and the NAS without a problem.

Please let me know what additional information I can provide to assist with finding the problem.

Why is this issue occurring and how can I solve it?

Beans

Re: Cannot copy/paste between Linux system and FreeNAS. What is the problem?

The functions you describe worked before, correct? The Copy/Paste options. Have you made any type of hardware changes or changes to configuration files for NAS?

I have verified the permissions on the FreeNAS. When I click on "Copy" on a NAS file in Ubuntu "Files" and then right click on Desktop, the "Paste" option is greyed out,
    What are the permissions and owner:group? When you say "Desktop", are you trying to paste to the Desktop directory? Or are you trying to copy to a particular user Desktop. If you click on a file not part of FreeNAS and try to Paste it on your user Desktop, what happens?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I since recently have noticed the same problem, which did not exist before.
    an example of the permissions of the files are:

drwxr-xr-x 2 jaap jaap 4096 okt 30 2009 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 jaap jaap 4096 apr 3 2021 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jaap jaap 68235 okt 30 2009 Beach...surf_crashes_down.jpg

I am trying to copy to my desktop, which is refused.

The desktop (Bureaublad) permissins are
    drwxr-xr-x 13 jaap jaap 4096 nov 26 16:40 Bureaublad

Once again: this problem did not exist before, and I found no settings of the permissions that changed this behaviour.

Topsiho

Beans

I'm really not sure your problems is the same as that of the original poster. Are you using FreeNAS also? What do you mean by copying to your desktop? There is a directory named Desktop in each user /home directory, is that where you are trying to copy to? You need to be logged in as that user. Also, are you running the standard Ubuntu as the Gnome/Nautilus developers do not want files/folders on the Desktop.

What exactly is "Bureaublad" and how does it fit in here? The output you posted for it shows it to be a directory with the owner being 'jaap with read, write and execute permissions.

Beans

I'm really not sure your problems is the same as that of the original poster. Are you using FreeNAS also? What do you mean by copying to your desktop? There is a directory named Desktop in each user /home directory, is that where you are trying to copy to? You need to be logged in as that user. Also, are you running the standard Ubuntu as the Gnome/Nautilus developers do not want files/folders on the Desktop.

What exactly is "Bureaublad" and how does it fit in here? The output you posted for it shows it to be a directory with the owner being 'jaap with read, write and execute permissions but you do not show in what directory it exists, is this in your FreeNAS. .

Beans
    Distro

Hello yancek,

Thanks for replying. Actually, I only wanted to support the original poster in that he is not the only one who has this problem.
    I think a recent update of Ubuntu (20.04.3, Gnome) caused this, a future update will correct this, i'm sure.
    If it really becomes a nuisance I'll investigate this further, or do the copying and moving in the terminal.

In my previous post I wrote that the Bureaublad is the Desktop. Bureaublad is the Dutch translation of Desktop.

And: I think the problem is very much the same as that of the original poster, I think. Even without a NAS.

Topsiho

Edit: I have plenty of files and folders on my desktop. I cannot do without them, making my desktop a mess. So be it.
    Last edited by Topsiho; November 29th, 2021 at 07:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hello yancek, and geekgeek4,
    I tried this on another computer, problem is the same.
    Using the terminal everything is as it should be, no problem.
    Your remark that Gnome/Nautilus developers are against files and folders on the desktop set me thinking. And so the (my) problem is solved. Until recently however, I did not notice anything in that direction. So something learned today. Thank you.

Topsiho