Thread: Banshee alternative for video

Beans

Banshee alternative for video

I just updated Ubuntu to the 20.04, and am unable to install Banshee Media Player. I liked that program, despite it's faults, for it's ability to tag videos by genre and create smart playlists using those tags. Is there either a way to get banshee on Ubuntu 20.04 or a good alternative to it? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Banshee alternative for video

If you really don't like the default Videos app, check out Xfce's Parole Media Player. It's light but can play pretty much anything: video, audio, display subtitles and chapters. It claims that it can even play live streams from the Internet, although I've never tried that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

VLC is also useful it plays and record streams from the Internet.
    Plays and record channels of air from a DVB dongle or card too.
    Looks and works the same in its Windows and Linux version.
    Happy user of Ubuntu-20.04 on a Beelink BT3pro mini PC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

smplayer is a front-end to mpv. mpv is amazing. I've never used smplayer. No clue about tagging. That's dependent on the media file header ... I use mkv for media files, so mkvpropedit can add tags. It really depends on the video content whether tagging is useful. Movies, TV Shows have tags that are different from high-school sporting events or home movies. Just be certain that the tagging tool doesn't lock up all the data in some non-standard DB, never to be released. It is best to get any tags actually stored in the file header whenever possible.