Thread: Help me unblock login.live.com

Beans

Exclamation Help me unblock login.live.com

I realize this a bit of a read but I am at a loss and would love all kinds of help.

Hello, I am trying to install Minecraft on my Ubuntu machine. For some unknown reason, the url login.live.com is blocked and refuses to connect on my computer. login.live.com is the link used to signin to a Microsoft account and thus a Minecraft account. The computer, for some reason, does not want to connect to that server. I have tried many troubleshooting things to get around this and now I am at a loss. Someone with a knowledge of linux please help me.
    I have tried and failed at:
    1. Using different browswers (but this doesn't matter because the Minecraft launcher creates it's own pop-up) but they all tell me that login.live.com refuses to connect. This is with the notable exception of brave with tor mode which connects but that is not useful because I can't sign in in the browser
    2. Using VPNs, the only VPNs that seem to work are the ones built into chrome as extension and the larger ones that are downloaded onto the machine itself don't work to unblock it or stop it from happening
    3. changing my DNS settings to google's or openDNS
    4. disabling my firewall using "sudo uwf disable" (If I'm doing this wrong please someone explain to me)
    5. disabling the extensive parental controls built into my families router
    6. hardwiring the pc to the router
    7. changing the ip
    8. flushing the DNS
    9. trying to use torsock to open the launcher but it crashed

If you see something that you think I might have done wrong or not fully, please let me know. If you think of something I did not do, please tell me it's steps in great detail.

FYI, I am running Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS and all I want to do is get Minecraft of the potato of a computer. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Help me unblock login.live.com

I see no problem with the login in my location on my installed browsers. A work-around maybe to create a minecraft account and login that way, but this is no help the Microsoft login if needed for other reasons. Posting the results of the following terminal command may offer a clue.

Code:
    ping microsoft.com
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Exclamation Re: Help me unblock login.live.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I see no problem with the login in my location on my installed browsers. A work-around maybe to create a minecraft account and login that way, but this is no help the Microsoft login if needed for other reasons. Posting the results of the following terminal command may offer a clue.

Code:
    ping microsoft.com

I used the command
    Code:
    ping microsoft.com
    and got this results
    Code:
    PING microsoft.com (13.77.161.179) 56(84) bytes of data.
    I then tried
    Code:
    ping login.live.com
    and got this result
    Code:
    PING login.live.com (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.034 ms
    64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.042 ms
    64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.042 ms
    64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.066 ms
    and it continues infinetly with increasing seq and varying degrees of time.

For the record, I have a microsoft account, the problem is that whenever I click microsoft login in the minecraft launcher, the pop-up says
    "Failed to load page.
    Please check your internet connection and try Reload again.
    Error message: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED (code=-102)."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

microsoft.com does not reply to ping for me either. Many IP's do not reply to ping.
    login.live.com does not reply to ping for me, and it seems to be an alias for login.msa.msidentity.com

Anyway, your system seems to think it is a local loopback IP address, 127.0.0.1
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Okay, so how do I tell the system that it's not a local looback IP address and is instead a trusted website that I want to go to?
    Is there a way to whitelist urls?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Check
    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts

Beans

Okay so, I forgot I manually added login.live.com to my /etc/hosts which is probably why it was treating it like a local host.
    I undid that and now when I do
    Code:
    ping login.live.com
    and I get
    Code:
    PING www.tm.a.prd.aadg.akadns.net (40.126.28.19) 56(84) bytes of data.

Beans

Post [Solved] Re: Help me unblock login.live.com

[Solved]
    Okay guys, thank you for your help. I solved it by resetting the DNS again and changing the DNS to Google Public for both IPv4 and IPv6.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Great!

Now, could you please edit the title of the thread instead and put the [SOLVED] tag there?