Thread: Gnome Vs others Virtual Desktops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gnome Vs others Virtual Desktops

This is probably a dumb realization, also a number of years later.

I've always had trouble with using virtual desktops. Just never could get used to it. I recently looked into the feature on Windows, the Task View thing. And it's quite intuitive for me. I can't help but think that the issue I had was that I spend more time with the kb / mouse instead of just a keyboard hence why the standard usage in most DE's didn't click for me (keyboard shortcuts).

Is this maybe one of the reasons that people generally dislike the Gnome Shell? It's more point and click friendly for the multiple desktops than keyboard?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gnome Vs others Virtual Desktops

I go back to the days before desktop environments and before the mouse was invented. Everything was done using keyboard shortcuts. I still prefer Ctrl+c = Copy; Ctrl+v = Paste; Ctrl+x = Cut. Over the years I have got used to using the mouse. The alternative is using my memory. I have memorized and forgotten so many things. I am weary of memorizing stuff that nobody needs or listens to.

We do not need to memorize knowledge anymore. Just speak out loud and a device on the table will speak the answer back to you. Soon there be machines that will even experience life for us. People will just sit there and have the experience of living played back to them in their heads. Don't call it MetaVerse. It is the Matrix.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't see any big difference between Windows and Gnome. I both case you bring up their display and afterward you click on the one you want or you use the shortcut keys to page through them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No my point being that is what makes them similar. And thereby why people dislike Gnome and of course laugh because Microsoft only added this feature in the last 5-6 years as opposed to *nix having it for decades.

That is why I couldn't get used to any other DE's virtual desktops. I grew up on Windows so for me transitioning to full keyboard has always been difficult. However with both Windows & Gnome I find I use the virtual desktops all the time. Just an interaction perspective.

Beans

Not a fan of Virtual Desktops on Windows at all. I use virtual desktops all the time on linux. I normally have 4 desktops setup with different apps open.

Beans
    Distro

I don't find Gnome intuitive when launching a new desktop so don't use them. I think there are extensions to make launching a new desktop more straightforward but I haven't bothered. I don't generally have that many different things going on that simply opening a new window isn't adequate. I do use the <super> + <left arrow> <right arrow> trick useful, especially on large single monitors.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I create a gnome partition about every 5 years or so to see if it fits my ideal for a DE but inevitable end up scratching my head and wondering "why the hell did they do that... that's back asswards". So, XFCE continues as my go to. My needs are simple:

• has to be rock solid,
    • multiple desktops/workspaces with independent backgrounds, and
    • solid file manager with multi-tabbing

Ideally the whole thing should sit in 6Gb... 6.3Gb and I start getting antsy... 6.5Gb and now I'm not nice and tearing things apart. (hasten to add that data sits on separate iron). In Linux we're spoiled for choices,... I'm happy where I am.