Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - Unable to find volume group when booting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - Unable to find volume group when booting

Do not run the auto fix, but use advanced mode and choose total reinstall of grub and update to newest kernel options.
    Make sure LVM is mounted. but it looks like it did get mounted in report.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Sadly, doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. Still get stuck at the same point; initramfs insists that the vg doesn't exist.

I did wind up having to follow those steps twice, though; it seems the helper program mistook the first word of "no raid disks" to be a device name, and tried to install grub to /dev/mapper/no...

Second time, I made sure to explicitly tell it to set grub up on /dev/sda.

I've got pastebin results for both of my attempts at running the repair.

First one: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/rFgkqPCxKS/

Second one: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/nbn2jMTmrX/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you use Advanced mode?

Not seen all the kernels listed like that? Have you not housecleaned old kernels?
    Assume this is an upgrade and that is why it is looking at all the very old kernels?
    When chrooted run
    sudo apt autoremove

You have at least one repository not working. That confuses the reinstall.
    Failed to fetch https://chrisiverson.net/lb5-alpha/r.../dev/InRelease

You also show menu.lst.
    That is from grub, now grub legacy which has not been used for 10 years.
    Did you try to manually install grub, not grub-pc which is the BIOS boot version of grub2?
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Did you use Advanced mode?
    Yes, and going in to detail, on each tab, I chose:

Main options: Restall GRUB, Unhide boot menu

GRUB location: Separate /boot partition sda1, Place GRUB into sda(was mapper/no for the first run)

GRUB options: Purge GRUB before reinstalling it, purge kernels then reinstall latest kernel

MBR options: tab is blank

Other options: Create a BootInfo summary, Upload the report to a pastebin, Participate to statistics, Check internet connection

Not seen all the kernels listed like that? Have you not housecleaned old kernels?
    Assume this is an upgrade and that is why it is looking at all the very old kernels?
    I don't know why they all show up as installed; before the purge, only the three most recent were installed. There's no way my boot partition could even hold all that.

Heck, even the script itself says they're not installed when it tries to remove them later on!

Maybe it is a legacy of the fact that this has been upgraded multiple times?

Hmm, looking at the dpkg output, they all say they're in "rc" status - desired action "remove", package status "config files", if I understand the dpkg output correctly.

I don't know why so many kernels would be in that status.

When chrooted run
    sudo apt autoremove
    Done, all those kernels still show up as "rc" status when dpkg -l is run.

I went in and used dpkg -P to remove all trace of those old kernels completely.

You have at least one repository not working. That confuses the reinstall.
    Failed to fetch https://chrisiverson.net/lb5-alpha/r.../dev/InRelease
    I'll just remove that to prevent issues. (It's a personal project repo hosted on the very device that I'm troubleshooting.)

You also show menu.lst.
    That is from grub, now grub legacy which has not been used for 10 years.
    Did you try to manually install grub, not grub-pc which is the BIOS boot version of grub2?
    I'm not sure... I don't think I tried anything that would wind up installing that version of grub. The most grub troubleshooting I did before this was just trying to run update-grub.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you install to sda, that should work.
    But it should be updating grub.cfg not a menu.lst.
    I did not think Boot-Repair even worked with grub legacy.

The kernel listing must be some issue with Boot-Repair.

Beans

I think I had an old package from years ago that was autogenerating a menu.lst file. I got rid of that package, as well as tidied up the kernels, and this was the latest boot-repair attempt, using the same options.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/xx6tS65dSm/

Sadly, still no luck, though. Still trying stuff when I can.

I did find someone that seemed to have the same symptoms(with a hardware difference; they have a hardware RAID, and I don't), but they just wound up rebuilding the server from scratch.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...roup-not-found

Thanks for your assistance so far, you've definitely helped me find some things that needed to be looked at, even if I haven't fixed the issue yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Report is not showing fstab which is in the LVM.
    Is Boot-Repair correctly mounting LVM?

Post /etc/fstab from your chroot or when running Boot-Repair and LVM is mounted.
    Some found manually mounting (and decrypting when encrypted) before running Boot-Repair works better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Honestly I am quite disconnected from the boot-info script lately and what its automatic processes do. It looks like you removed all kernels and installed just the latest one, right?

I would have liked to see what happens when booting an older kernel. Do you still have any?

If yes, try to boot an older one. In the grub menu select the Advanced entry, and you will see a list of older kernels too. Select the oldest one you have, but select the "normal" entry, not the 'recovery'.

Also can you please confirm if you noticed how did this exactly happen? Some important key points are:

1). Did it stop booting the LVM right after the 18.04 -> 20.04 upgrade? Or was it booting X months and then decided to give you issues?

2). Did it stop booting after you did apt-get dist-upgrade for example? In the link you mentioned in post #16 the problem might have been related to updating the system/packages.

I know all of this is frustrating but so far no solution was found. So depending how you feel you might also decide to simply reinstall from scratch. One advice for the future though. Try not to put everything on single root LV. You are chopping off your own foot there because if you format the LV to reinstall, you lose all data on it. On the other hand if you have another LV mounted at /data for example, you can keep it intact but do a complete OS reinstall.

PS. If you don't have any older kernel I would try to install some using chroot and then try to boot it. Worth of try. But you would have to install the specific kernel by hand so to speak, because it won't be the latest one. I would even try with the very first kernel that 20.04 came out with.
    Last edited by darkod; November 30th, 2021 at 08:55 PM.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Report is not showing fstab which is in the LVM.
    Is Boot-Repair correctly mounting LVM?

Post /etc/fstab from your chroot or when running Boot-Repair and LVM is mounted.
    Some found manually mounting (and decrypting when encrypted) before running Boot-Repair works better?
    I'll pull out the fstab and post it, as well as trying the boot-repair again after manually mounting the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Honestly I am quite disconnected from the boot-info script lately and what its automatic processes do. It looks like you removed all kernels and installed just the latest one, right?

I would have liked to see what happens when booting an older kernel. Do you still have any?

If yes, try to boot an older one. In the grub menu select the Advanced entry, and you will see a list of older kernels too. Select the oldest one you have, but select the "normal" entry, not the 'recovery'.
    I don't still have them, but the oldest one that was still on my system before trying all of this(I think was 5.4.0-87 or 88) resulted in the same issue.

Also can you please confirm if you noticed how did this exactly happen? Some important key points are:

1). Did it stop booting the LVM right after the 18.04 -> 20.04 upgrade? Or was it booting X months and then decided to give you issues?

2). Did it stop booting after you did apt-get dist-upgrade for example? In the link you mentioned in post #16 the problem might have been related to updating the system/packages.
    It wasn't a version upgrade; while this system was an upgrade from 18.04, I upgraded to 20.04 pretty much as soon as the point release was available and upgrading was enabled. It's been running since then without issues.

It was definitely after an update, though. There were updates that were applied, but unfortunately, I'm unsure as to which upgrades were applied. I've got automatic upgrades turned on for many things, and it was in a reboot-required state for quite a while before I rebooted to finish the update that needed it.

I know all of this is frustrating but so far no solution was found. So depending how you feel you might also decide to simply reinstall from scratch. One advice for the future though. Try not to put everything on single root LV. You are chopping off your own foot there because if you format the LV to reinstall, you lose all data on it. On the other hand if you have another LV mounted at /data for example, you can keep it intact but do a complete OS reinstall.

PS. If you don't have any older kernel I would try to install some using chroot and then try to boot it. Worth of try. But you would have to install the specific kernel by hand so to speak, because it won't be the latest one. I would even try with the very first kernel that 20.04 came out with.
    I've actually tried this with a couple older kernel versions; one dating back to July, and one dating back to January. (5.4.0-80 and 5.4.0-60, IIRC). Not a bad idea to try the initial kernel that 20.04.1 came with, though, since I know for sure that worked.

While I am considering a rebuild, I'm honestly very curious as to what exactly is happening. I'll keep plugging away. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12