Thread: No GUI desktop

Beans

No GUI desktop

I am trying to get back on Ubuntu and got it installed with the last updates. It runs fine in the background only. No GUI desktop !
    If I hit alt+F1, I get most all menus. If I click on any of them, they show up and are useable. But how can I get the Desktop. What I see is a black screen with a trame of square lines and the LM icon in the center. As I wrote, I think that it is running fine in the background only.
    Where do I click to get this GUI to show ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: No GUI desktop

Please explain what you have and what you did to get what you have.

'the LM icon in the center' indicates that you have Linux Mint and not Ubuntu. It you have a mixture of the two operating systems Ubuntu and Linux Mint, it might be best to

- backup your personal files that you want to keep
    - make a fresh installation of the operating system that you want to run
    - copy back your personal files from the backup to the fresh operating system.

Such an operation is likely to be at least as fast and easy as a repair operation, and the result is probably better.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I agree with sudodus. From your own description, your system seems utterly broken. Back up all needed data and reinstall either of the two operating systems, as suggested.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to MINT. which is more appropriate and a better fit as there are many differences between Ubuntu and Linux Mint..