Thread: Copying files from Ubuntu HDD to Windows HDD

Beans

Copying files from Ubuntu HDD to Windows HDD

Hi guys,I installed Ubuntu 20 LTS on one HDD and Windows 10 on another HDD. Is there a way in Ubuntu to create a folder on the Windows HDD and transfer files from Ubuntu to Windows? I do see the Windows HDD from Ubuntu but the New Folder and Paste options are grayed out. I would like to use the GUI rather than Terminal.Thank you so much
    Last edited by G0at1; November 23rd, 2021 at 05:39 PM.

Beans

Re: Copying files from Ubuntu HDD to Windows HDD

Make sure Windows Fast Boot is turned off. Fast Boot puts Windows in hibernation mode and touching Windows at that time is bad for Windows and the files on it. Ubuntu probably sees Windows in hibernation and tries to protect it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes. There are ways, but I don't know how to safely set it up with a GUI. Sorry.
    Windows 8+ does some things by default to break access to Linux of NTFS file systems. You'll get to learn about those, but it is very common. Also, beware that Linux doesn't care about Windows file permissions, so you can delete Windows by accident if not careful.

Beans

Half way there! I disabled Fast Boot and can now make a New Folder in the Windows HDD but I still can't paste.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have separate Windows and Ubuntu on different drives. HDD and SSD.
    To share files between them I used Gparted to create a SHARE ntfs partition in Windows HDD
    and in there I have folder(s) which can be accessed by either Windows or Ubuntu.
    One nice app I use for sharing notes between Windows/Ubuntu is Cherrytree which installs in both OS.
    Similarly LibreOffice installs in both OS. So I can pass several cross platform app files between OS.
    Regarding GUI, there are several options.
    In Ubuntu I can use Nautilus, or usually Krusader which is dual panel.
    In Windows I use Total Commander which is also dual panel.
    And you can install R-Linux on both Windows and Ubuntu.
    Krusader is my main file manager. R-Linux is useful.
    And of course you could use Dropbox to share files.

Beans
    Hidden!

I suggest that you boot into Windows and shrink the size of its partition, usually seen as C:

Then boot into Ubuntu, install gparted and use it to use the now unallocated (free) drive space to create another partition, a 'data' partition with the file system NTFS.

Now you can have read and write access to the data partition both from Ubuntu and Windows and you can write to it without any risk to damage any of the operating system's files.
    Last edited by sudodus; November 23rd, 2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: ninja'd by dragonfly41 :-)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I suggest that you boot into Windows and shrink the size of its partition, usually seen as C:

Then boot into Ubuntu, install gparted and use it to use the now unallocated (free) drive space to create another partition, a 'data' partition with the file system NTFS.

Now you can have read and write access to the data partition both from Ubuntu and Windows and you can write to it without any risk to damage any of the operating system's files.
    So should I shrink it in Windows first or use gparted to make new partition as drangonfly suggested? Here's my C drive. I'm confused what to enter. I need about 100 GB.

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Shrink the Windows partition first from within Windows, then use Gparted to create NTFS SHARE partition.
    Alternatively you can create an NTFS partition externally to be accessed by Windows which might be safer (Windows HDD untouched).

Beans

Heck yea it worked! Thank you so much everybody

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You may also create a BTRFS partition between both OS and in win install WinBTRFS driver.