Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one to Choose: Fedora or Ubuntu

Beans

Which one to Choose: Fedora or Ubuntu

Hello everyone, i am switching to the Linux, earlier i used windows Operating System, and one of my friend suggest me to choose the Ubuntu but when i searched the Linux Distribution i found Fedora Operating system as well. can any one please suggest me which is better and what's the difference between Ubuntu and Fedora and which one to choose?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Which one to Choose: Fedora or Ubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat for a better fit

Beans

Of course Ubuntu, you are on the Ubuntu forum. Seriously though, I have used Fedora, I would use Ubuntu hands down. LTS has much longer supported period, much more readily available software, more polished in terms of interface. Fedora offers bleeding edge software which is sometimes buggy (surprisingly Arch somehow feels more stable, perhaps because it allows downgrading so if things break you can easily roll back) etc, and the Forum here is much more helpful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I'd definitely agree with @monkeybrain20122 with regards support for a release.

Ubuntu offers non-LTS releases; where release-upgrade is required every 9 months, but also offers the LTS (long-term-support) option which means the release-upgrade is done every 2-3 (up to 5) years. In contrast with Fedora that's 6-13 months.

If you want newer software - you can upgrade with each release, and thus be somewhat close to Fedora in regards software freshness. You've got the option of use testing or development too, but that'd not be recommended if you're not familiar with fixing issues, as support options are more restrictive on development releases (using development/testing cycle is possible with Fedora too)

If you installed Fedora 35 today; you'd have 1 month after the release of Fedora 37 has been released before it's EOL/end-of-life, with a release coming out roughly every six months (like Ubuntu releases) meaning you have 12+1 months maximum supported life.

Software, stability, applications, programs - I'd be hard pressed to choose.

Personally I prefer Ubuntu, and do believe it's got more and greater choice; esp. since a huge portion of debian packages are imported into Ubuntu repositories, which I think gives greater choice; but almost all needed packages are available for both. Flatpaks are easier in Fedora I suspect, Snaps in Ubuntu - but you can use either in each OS too as they just have different defaults and neither is limited to those defaults.

For myself, I use Debian & Ubuntu (or flavor of Ubuntu), so for me those two are my choice. This machine is Lubuntu jammy (ie. development) but the other box I just turned off is Debian bookworm (ie. testing).

I do have Fedora (35 currently), OpenSuSE (tumbleweed) systems here, but they're mostly for comparison of desktop issues so do relate to my work on Lubuntu primarily.

If actions speak louder than words; maybe this will help.

Your question is somewhat like asking what brand of ice-cream should I buy... All ice-cream is basically the same just tastes slightly different as made slightly differently... GNU/Linux distributions are all the sourced from the same upstream; just packaged slightly differently so I find Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuSE.... all pretty much the same. Some things are easier in one, other things easier in another... I pick the right tool for the right job, which for me is Debian or Ubuntu, but it'll depend on the job (I started with Debian.. which probably makes me more comfortable there.. which is maybe why it's Debian & Ubuntu for me..)

Beans

Ubuntu is a great choice for first-time Linux use (great for experienced users too). A few distros are customized to appeal to ex-Windows users. You might look at Zorin, which is customized to appear similar to Windows. Its basically a customized Ubuntu, based only on the LTS releases (meaning it uses Ubuntu long-term support releases like 20.04 as the main source for it's packages). And yes, I've tried it.

If you did install Fedora, which you mentioned, you might not know what to do when it starts. It would look very unfamiliar with few clues on what to do next.
    Last edited by Dennis N; November 22nd, 2021 at 04:54 PM.

Beans

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-vs-fedora/

i vote for Ubuntu , for all the above reasons .(the posts,not the link)
    you could try them both though , different strokes for different folks...
    xubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There is no rule saying that you must cleave to one and forget all others. This is not a marriage. There are no priests with censers standing beside a Cardinal who is hammering together a final golden link in a chain binding you to a particular OS.

Neither is the best and each is the best. The decision is entirely up to you. There is no harm at all in trying both and deciding for yourself which is the best for you.

You may ask this question on any number of forums on the web. You will get answers that reflect the community you are asking. The fact is that every single "Which is the best" article I have ever seen on the web is entirely subjective and more often than not based on "brand loyalty" rather than an objective assessment.

I use several distros ... and Windows too. Use what works -- and that may not be the same OS for all purposes.
    Last edited by QIII; November 22nd, 2021 at 06:53 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

!st time trying Ubuntu and I really like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did choose Ubuntu in 2008 and I never changed.

I know Fedora, because I have Fedora 33 and 35 in a Virtual Machine since the release of Fedora 33. I like Fedora too, but it needs more resources and it is updated more frequently and thus more state of the art. More updates, the consequence is also, that Fedora is less reliable than Ubuntu. Ubuntu LTS is the most reliable disco I know, their development/maintenance process is so reliable, that often for hours I use a VM with Xubuntu 22.04 Development Edition to take care of my communication (Email; Transmission; WhatsApp; etc).

Another reasons I stick to Ubuntu is the dock, I want to start my favorite Apps with one click and I don't like plain Gnome as used by Fedora, where you need more clicks/typing to start those apps.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; November 29th, 2021 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

you found only two operating system? what kind of search engine are you using?

check distrowatch website for more and you can see what the difference is either by checking their reviews (internal or external ones) or specific packages they have/use or don't have/use.

but best way to try it is to live boot a USB with linux on it. if all works, and if you like what you see you can go ahead and install it. maybe. because it all depends on how connected you are with windows software.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast