Thread: Context menu on desktop 21.10

Beans
    Hidden!

Context menu on desktop 21.10

Ubuntu 21.10

The File manager Nautilus context menu does not work the same on files on the desktop.

When using File manager context menu, I get my encrypt function, but when right click on the desktop icon I don't see the option in the context menu.

There is an option to 'Show In Files', after which you see the correct context menu.

How can I get the same context menu when right clicking on a desktop icon ?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Context menu on desktop 21.10

The File Manager does not anymore provide the icons on the desktop since a few versions. Options appearing in File Manager therefore may not appear when right-clicking a desktop icon, especially for custom options provided by nautilus extensions.

That limitation is caused by Ubuntu using a shell, Gnome Shell, that essentially does not anymore support an active desktop, i.e., a desktop that works as a file manager. If desktop icons are important in your workflow, you may need to move to a desktop environment that fully supports desktop icons such as Mate, Xfce or KDE. Swapping out nautilus for e.g. nemo, which can be set to handle desktop icons, may be a workaround, but is not trivial to do.