Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Vs SSD or HDD

Beans

Need Help Vs SSD or HDD

I have 4 old computers that are starting to run a little slow. I am dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 20.04 on all of them. All OS's on all computers are currently updated and running. All have a 1TB HDD and I clone each to its own 1TB HDD. Because of being on a limited income and can only spend a small amount of money over time to upgrade I am limited on what I can buy.
    Dell says none of mine are compatible for W 11. Yet when I look for a better computer I can find some Dell's that are not compatible but claim to have W 11 installed.
    What problems would I run into if I were to buy one of these non compatible computers with W11 installed with a SSD?
    I know nothing about SSD's except they run quieter,last longer, use less power and cost a lot more than HDD's.
    If the computer has a SSD can I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu?
    Can I clone to a HDD or do I have to have a SSD?
    Can I clone the W11 SSD OS to a HDD and replace the SSD with the HDD?
    I rarely use Windows but as long as I can get it for free thru upgrade I will. Doesn't hurt to have two OS's.

My prefered OS and the only one I use is Ubuntu.
    With 8 1TB HDD's I don't believe going SSD makes sense at this time.

Thanks for any advice to help me make a decision.

Beans

Re: Need Help Vs SSD or HDD

Your primary issue seems to be W11 incompatibility. While Microsoft has some specific requirements for installing W11, it seems there are workarounds for some of them. If I were you I'd wait a while and see what shakes out and if your current hardware can be adapted. Windows 10 will be supported until at least 2025, so you have some time to figure it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Back in about 2011 will was somewhat planning to build new system, old BIOS system was from 2006.
    But Microcenter released a generic 60GB SSD that was only about twice as fast as HDD. But it made old system so much better it was 2014 before I did build new system.
    SSD's have dropped a lot in price, so you may want to check what is available, now.

HDD & SSD are both drives. I installed Kubuntu in HDD to test as I had Ubuntu on SSD. I liked Kubuntu, so installed it into another partition on SSD & copied /home configuration files to SSD.

If you have good backups, you can do new install & restore data, apps & configuration to new install relatively easily with Ubuntu or any of its flavors.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks oldfred I guess I got a little long winded in my first post. Basically I was wanting information from people who are now dual booting windows and Linux and went to SSD from Hdd. Would I need the same size SSD 1TB compared to my now 1TB HDD?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you buy a computer with Windows 11 preinstalled and you then try to install Ubuntu on it you will face exactly the same complications that you had to deal with when you installed Ubuntu on machines with Windows 10 installed. Do you have any evidence that the supplier of Windows 11 is making it easier to dual boot Linux with Windows 11?

If you buy a machine with a lower hardware specification than recommended by Microsoft you will find that over time as Windows 11 is updated/upgraded the machine will not perform satisfactory.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks grahammechanical. So far I have not had any problems installing Ubuntu on any W10 computer that I have tried. Again do I need the same size SSD as the HDD I am using now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The are both drives. So if using most of HDD space, you want SSD at least as large as HDD.
    But you can have two drives which I preferred even when using only HDDs.
    A smaller SSD for booting (both Windows & Ubuntu ) and HDD for data.
    You have installs so know size of both Windows & Ubuntu. But then separate system from data and see how much you use.

I have only one older Windows 8 updated to Windows 10 system. Originally made it about 50GB, but then to upgrade needed more and it is about 100GB, but really has little or no data as just for watching TV for streams that did not work with Linux.

My Kubuntu installs are in 30GB partitions, but use about 10 to 12 GB for those that are active with additional apps. Those running Ubuntu with lots of snaps may need more space or if running server apps which may need more data space in / (root).
    But all my data is in large data partition(s). I used to have / on SSD & data on HDD, but newer larger SSD now has enough room for may data, but backups, test installs, and some misc is still on HDD.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks oldfred. That helps a lot. Right now I am just looking. I try to learn new things for later when I have to lay out the money. I don't like MS and like you only use it when one thing runs better in Windows than Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman70 View Post
    I know nothing about SSD's except they run quieter,last longer, use less power and cost a lot more than HDD's.
    If the computer has a SSD can I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu?
    Yes, You can do dual boot if you want and one thing, SSD is more higher speed compared to hdd.
    Can I clone to a HDD or do I have to have a SSD?
    Yes, of course.
    I rarely use Windows but as long as I can get it for free thru upgrade I will. Doesn't hurt to have two OS's.
    No.
    My prefered OS and the only one I use is Ubuntu.
    With 8 1TB HDD's I don't believe going SSD makes sense at this time.
    There is a big difference specially on data transfer. But if you want to save why go to ssd when you already have a working hdd.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Rather than dual booting, have you considered using virtualization for the lesser used OS? Put one (or more) inside a VM. Then you can have both running concurrently or 15 if your CPU and RAM can support it. I've run 12 VMs on a Core2 Duo with 16GB of RAM for many years. One of those VMs was a Win7 Media Center system.
    Last edited by TheFu; November 19th, 2021 at 01:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast