Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 21.10 over Mint 20.2 in dual boot

Beans

Installing Ubuntu 21.10 over Mint 20.2 in dual boot

Do I click now on the "-" sign of
    Code:
    dev/sda6
    at this point of the installation?

I want to install Ubuntu over Mint and maintain Windows 10; all Mint files are backed up.

Is the Device for boot loader installation: option correct? I have only one SSD.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu 21.10 over Mint 20.2 in dual boot

OK I clicked on "-" of /dev/sda6 and then on the "+" of free space.

Is this and what you can see in the picture correct so far?

Beans

I think the "-" is to delete that selected partitiion. You don't want to do that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nipplewise View Post
    OK I clicked on "-" of /dev/sda6 and then on the "+" of free space.

Is this and what you can see in the picture correct so far?
    OK, since you are deleting the old one, you are now creating a replacement partition. The dialog looks correct.
    The more direct way is to click "Change" and then specify to use the existing partition as /. But you should get the same result.

Beans

Thanks a lot.

Can I safely ignore this?

Beans

OK, I found this:

So, the error is exactly what it says: you're trying to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode without the necessary EFI System Partition.

Since you're trying to install alongside Windows 10, and your Windows 10 is not in UEFI mode (otherwise you'd already have an ESP) you don't want to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode, either. The mode that Ubuntu installs in is determined by the way that you boot the installation media: one way is UEFI mode (which would probably be part of the label when you're choosing it from the boot menu) and the other way is the (much) older BIOS mode. Boot your installation media in BIOS mode, and it will install Ubuntu in BIOS mode. Then it won't need (or use) an ESP: Grub (the Linux bootloader) will be installed into the Master Boot Record of your drive, and will then chainload the Windows bootloader. In UEFI mode both the Linux bootloader and the Windows bootloader would be in the ESP.

Since OEM installs of Windows 10 are done in UEFI mode, I guess the Windows install was one that you did yourself.

Source: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2436760.

I did install Windows 10 myself.

The Ubuntu USB drive is created using USB Image Writer of Linux Mint.

But it seems to me that the BIOS options are set correctly.

USB UEFI BIOS Support [Disabled] does not allow me to boot from the USB drive so I have to keep it to [Enabled].

UEFI/Legacy Boot is already set to [Legacy Only].

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have UEFI hardware, you should have installed Windows in UEFI boot mode. At least plan on long term reinstalling it.
    Microsoft has required vendors to install in UEFI boot mode to gpt partitioned drives since 2012.
    But conversion from MBR partitioning to gpt partitioning will erase drive, so you have to have good backups & plan ahead for that type of conversion.

The UEFI/BIOS setting for boot mode is only for your installed system.
    How you boot install media, UEFI or BIOS is then how it installs.
    Your UEFI boot menu for booting USB flash drive should have two boot options, one clearly UEFI as UEFI UEFI:XXXX and other just XXXX which then is BIOS boot. The XXXX may be label or description of flash drive, mine says PMAP.
    Some tools like Rufus only create USB live installer in one mode or the other, so how you create installer then is important as UEFI boot will only have that one option.

But if you have UEFI Secure boot on, the BIOS/Legacy/CSM option is not available and you may even have to turn on a UEFI setting to allow USB boot as USB booting is not considered Secure. With Secure boot off, either boot should be available, but you may still need the USB boot setting with some systems.
    Last edited by oldfred; November 17th, 2021 at 05:17 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

sda5 which is formatted FAT32 looks like an EFI system partition - but it may not be used. Your boot options in post #6 say "Legacy Only" meaning the OS will only boot BIOS installs. So Mint must have been installed in BIOS mode, as well as your Windows install.

You should install Ubuntu as BIOS mode, which means you have to boot the USB installer in bios mode. In the USB boot up menu, it can have both options - select the one without mention of UEFI.

Beans

Thank you both!

I will ponder about my next step.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not to be the Devil's advocate... Too late for this, but I have curiosity kinds of questions...

Background... Mint is an Ubuntu derived child distro of Ubuntu. It is already based on and Ubuntu core under the hood. The big plus of Linux, is that it is customizable and pieces interchange...

If you were tired of Cinnamon Desktop, why didn't you just install ubuntu-desktop onto your old/existing Ubuntu based installation? Was it just time to start out with a fresh/clean install?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; November 17th, 2021 at 09:11 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast