Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubiquity crashes when installing iso to bare metal, or as VM in KVM/QEMU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubiquity crashes when installing iso to bare metal, or as VM in KVM/QEMU

I have tried several times to install the daily-live versions of Xubuntu 22.04 but the ubiquity installer always seems to crash.
    I have reported this as requested at the crash and there is now a bug which can be found at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1951093

Anyone else tried this with the same result in Xubuntu or any other DE version.

I have used both bare metal and KVM/QEMU virtual machines always with the same result.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubiquity crashes when installing iso to bare metal, or as VM in KVM/QEMU

How are you booting ISO.
    I always use grub2's loopmount and toram parameter and have to unmount isodevice. The pop-up that asks to unmount partitions does not do anything, and it locks up if isodevice not unmounted.
    sudo umount -lrf /isodevice

Have not tried installing Jammy for a couple of weeks.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I had the same result with Ubuntu Budgie on bare metal. I never even get into the live session.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For the hard metal installs I create a live system USB with the iso using mkusb and can always (so far) boot successfully to a live OS which runs beautifully with no obvious problems.
    Fo the KVM1QEMU installation I simply point virt-manager to the iso image file. This also boots to a good live OS but seems to crash at the same point, just after the file copying operation has completed and the installation proper begins.

Very frustrating but I do have a fully updated and successful instance 22.04 after editing the sources.list file of a VM, again in KVM/QEMU, of 21.10. It is simply the installer that crashes at present.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; November 16th, 2021 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Extra info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had the same installation crash problem. At the time, I did not know if bug #1950132 was the correct one, and ended up filing https://bugs.launchpad.net/subiquity/+bug/1950914. I have since marked it as a duplicate. I also think that two bugs filed yesterday (i'll find them later) are also duplicates.

What I didn't know before wasting my time, was to first go to the daily overview page and look at the date of the stuff in the "current" directory, the one that says "Latest images to have passed any automatic testing; try this first", where I saw the iso files dates 2021.11.05. That one installed fine.

Normally I just go to the QA tracker page to get whatever ISO I am looking for, and fill out the test case also. I observe that many of the sever edition pages are obsolete, without an ISO even available.

EDIT 1: Many bugs here are the same thing.

EDIT 2: I have been talking about Ubutnu Desktop, whereas this thread was originally about Xubuntu, where the current directory shows todays date for the ISOs.
    Last edited by Doug S; November 16th, 2021 at 05:17 PM.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro

Nov 13th Ubuntu 22.04 ISO Legacy Install crashes. I used Startup Disk Creator.
    Installed Impish ISO, Did not update. Changed repositories to Jammy, Updated, Upgraded. All OK.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    How are you booting ISO.
    I always use grub2's loopmount and toram parameter and have to unmount isodevice. The pop-up that asks to unmount partitions does not do anything, and it locks up if isodevice not unmounted.
    sudo umount -lrf /isodevice

Have not tried installing Jammy for a couple of weeks.
    Code:
        menuentry "Kubuntu 22.04 Desktop 64bit" --class jammy --class gnu-linux --id jammy {
            set isofile="/iso/Jammy/kubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso"
            loopback loop $isofile
            linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noeject noprompt splash --
            initrd (loop)/casper/initrd
        }
    i just installed 21.10 and use sed to do in a inline update to sources.list after the installer crashed as soon as it got to apt twice
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just zsynced the most recent iso of Xubuntu and the crash problem is still there, exactly as it was the last time I tried.

This still means that other running the jammy version which I upgraded from 21.10 recently, there is no way (that I know of) to install and test running 22.04 at this time.
    The live system appears to run without a problem; it is only the installation that crashes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Just zsynced the most recent iso of Xubuntu and the crash problem is still there, exactly as it was the last time I tried.

This still means that other running the jammy version which I upgraded from 21.10 recently, there is no way (that I know of) to install and test running 22.04 at this time.
    The live system appears to run without a problem; it is only the installation that crashes.
    Agreed, seems to be an ongoing issue. There are now a large number of related bug reports.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast