Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new laptop and a move over to Ubuntu in the Uk

Beans

Looking for a new laptop and a move over to Ubuntu in the Uk

Hi all,

I'm in the UK. I'm looking to replace my 10 year old laptop and would quite like to move over to Ubuntu (my old laptop is a Novatech nSpire i5 2450M 8GB DDR3 500GB hard drive 15.6" screen). I've been really happy with the Novarech machine. Not such a fan of Windows now constantly telling me to upgrade OS!

I have looked at a couple of Novatech machines (N1686 and N1687) with no operating system...

Also looking at various similar machines from Entroware, Star Labs and Juno Computers but know nothing about any if them.

Looking for advice and thoughts....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Looking for a new laptop and a move over to Ubuntu in the Uk

I think best for Linux Ubuntu Operating System is Dell. They already have pre-installed Linux Ubuntu Operating System on Dell. Its already available in the market. So Good Luck and Regards. Welcome to Linux world.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Have you tried a live session (Ubuntu/Xubuntu etc) on your existing laptop?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    I think best for Linux Ubuntu Operating System is Dell. They already have pre-installed Linux Ubuntu Operating System on Dell. Its already available in the market. So Good Luck and Regards. Welcome to Linux world.
    Thank you. I had a brief look at Dell but their ubuntu machine was well beyond my budget! I'll have another look and see if I missed something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Have you tried a live session (Ubuntu/Xubuntu etc) on your existing laptop?
    I haven't as I don't really want to mess about with my current machine. I did think about getting hold of a really cheap/2nd hand laptop to just have a play with with ubuntu which I may well do...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Trying a live session of Ubuntu/Xubuntu will not affect/damage your PC - just be reasonably careful and leave the Windows partitions alone.
    Even if you view your Windows data, there will be no side effects.
    One of the main points of a live session is simply to see if the OS is suitable for your needs.

Are you familiar with all the different flavours in the Ubuntu family?
    Info here https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....buntu+flavours

Now, if you want an affordable machine to play around with Ubuntu, I recently purchased this netbook brand new
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....0#post14066900

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

There's a free HP G72 110SA here if you want it. I've upgraded to a newer machine & the old G72's no good to any non-technical Windows-only local buyers for actual significant money. If you want to save it from the skip let me know, I don't want anything for it. Intel core i3 / 1Tb disk / 8Gb RAM / 17" screen. Perfect working order for what it is. It's got fresh genuine Win7 on it at the mo, I'd be happy to put Lubuntu back on it if you want. I found Lubuntu ran great on it, never tried Ubuntu.
    I like the dollar uptime thing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mjetrying View Post
    Thank you. I had a brief look at Dell but their Ubuntu machine was well beyond my budget! I'll have another look and see if I missed something.
    I don't know your budget, But maybe this will help. This might be expensive but maybe you'll like it. You can get some item here by installment basis. I' am not advertising here I just want you to know that before, way back 5 or 8 years ago,
    System 76 runs Ubuntu Operating System only. But now they have their Pop OS. which is also a Linux Distribution. Click here for more.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

I think I've managed to narrow down to either the Entroware Proteus 15 and Juno Gemini 15. (These might even be the same machine?)

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experience of either machine or supplier....

Beans
    Hidden!

You should also consider a refurbished enterprise class laptop (Dell, HP, Lenovo), maybe 3 years old. Such a computer will give you a lot of computing power for the money compared to a new one. And Linux has had time to tweak the hardware drivers to make it work well.

You should be able to find companies who sell with at least 6 months guarantee (enough to find out if something is wrong with it). In Sweden there is Inrego, and I'm sure there are similar companies in the UK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast