Beans

Re: Transfer all data from hard disk

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    Thanks

Regards

Beans

Hi all,

Tadaen_Sylvermane on posting #9 above suggests me keeping one HD copy on a server so that any machine can access it. At present I don't run server but it is not difficult for to build one. I have old spare PCs. Speed is not important in file sharing.

I just read following article online;
    How to share files through the local network?
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/3101...-local-network

Which solution will be more suitable to me? Please share me your experience. Thanks

Edit
    ==

Just found following document online

Share Large Files by Setting Up a Home File Server
    https://www.online-tech-tips.com/fre...e-large-files/

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; November 14th, 2021 at 09:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just use rsync. If it fails, you can restart and the previously completed copies won't happen again.
    4TB will take about 26 hrs, IME.

Code:
    rsync  -av --stats --progress /path/to/source/  /path/to/target/
    This will provide information as the copy proceeds. I assume you will mount the NTFS with the correct mount options to allow write ... or use sudo.
    Beware, ext4 filenames can be different from what NTFS supports. I don't know how this gets handled. The NTFS mount options can have a "windows_names" option to intelligently handle that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Just use rsync. If it fails, you can restart and the previously completed copies won't happen again.
    4TB will take about 26 hrs, IME.

Code:
    rsync  -av --stats --progress /path/to/source/  /path/to/target/
    This will provide information as the copy proceeds. I assume you will mount the NTFS with the correct mount options to allow write ... or use sudo.
    Beware, ext4 filenames can be different from what NTFS supports. I don't know how this gets handled. The NTFS mount options can have a "windows_names" option to intelligently handle that.
    Hi TheFu,

Thanks for your advice.

I'll mount the new 4TB SATA HDD, NTFS, inside the PC, not connecting it via USB.

I have tested on Terminal running cp a complete folder from the old 4TB HDD, ext4, to the new 4TB HDD, NTFS. Then I connected the new 4TH HDD to PC via Hard Drive Docking device. The said folder can be read in Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10, including Linux VMs and Windows VMs. Its files can be edited.

I'll split the files on the Old 4TH HDD into 4 folders and transfer folder by folder, not all files at one time. Besides I'll test each folder after each transfer completion.

What I'm planning to do is as follow;

I have 3 PCs, not run at the same time:
    PC-1
    Daily working PC - Ubuntu 20.04, Oracle VirtualBox, LinuxVMs and WindowsVMs

PC-2
    Stand-by PC, Multi-boot
    SSD-1 - Ubuntu 20.04, Oracle VirtualBox, LinuxVMs and WindowsVMs
    SSD-2 - Windows 10
    SSD-3 - Ubuntu 20.04

PC-3
    Stand-by PC - Ubuntu 20.04, Oracle VirtualBox, LinuxVMs and WindowsVMs

After completion I'll plugin the new 4TB HDD in my Hard Drive Docking device for file sharing amongst my PCs

The ONLY reason for me going back to Windows is to enhence the old video of my VHS and V8 tapes. I can't get in done on Linux. There are many articles and threads online explaining how to do it on Windows applications.

I'll start another posting later on file sharing server.

Edit
    ===

On my PC, running AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9GHz, 19MB and 32G RAM onboard, I hope the transfer time will be shorter

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; November 15th, 2021 at 05:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The ONLY reason for me going back to Windows is to enhence the old video of my VHS and V8 tapes. I can't get in done on Linux. There are many articles and threads online explaining how to do it on Windows applications.
    If that is the case and you are not dependent on vendors such as Adobe have you explored Blender in Ubuntu for rendering?

This is an interesting benchmark.
    Last edited by dragonfly41; November 15th, 2021 at 02:17 PM. Reason: corrected URL

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    If that is the case and you are not dependent on vendors such as Adobe have you explored Blender in Ubuntu for rendering?
    This is an interesting benchmark.
    Sorry your link doesn't work.

I have tried Blender, OpenShot, etc. before on Ubuntu 20.04 without result. Also I have made intensive online search. The suggested solutions found by me all work on Windows. Besides I have subscribed online photo/movie/video forums. All the folks there only work on Windows environment.

Not one software can do the job. 6 software work together to get the job done,

Please visit following interesting YouTube video
    How to use VirtualDub AviSynth AvsP and WinFF to restore videotapes and VHS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXhLmH_ul94

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Here is a bunch of further links to explore .. in Ubuntu.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio...VideoInBlender

VirtualDub AviSynth AvsP and WinFF

FFMPEG, AviSynth, VirtualDub - Which tool for which purpose?

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...irtualdub.html

Blender vs VirtualDub

https://comparisons.financesonline.c...dub-vs-blender

https://blenderartists.org/t/video-c...oration/666898

https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2253071

Now this last one is way off the beaten path and illustrates how mathematical kernels can be applied to videos.

I have installed wolframscript (CLI) into Ubuntu 20.04 and I registered for the free developer licence for playing around.

Wolfram can pass objects into Blender using Python API.

In fact if you go so far as installing Jupyter Lab in Ubuntu you can write scripts, clip by clip, as a notebook

Well worth playing with even if it does not meet your video restoration requirements.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    On my PC, running AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9GHz, 19MB and 32G RAM onboard, I hope the transfer time will be shorter
    It isn't the CPU. It is the HDD I/O that limits.

BTW, I have a relatively new 5600G w/ 16G RAM as well. About a month old now. It replaced a Pentium G3258 "server" that has a window manager, but isn't really used with a display. It is a server, so network access is the main way it gets used. Think it has about 30+TB of storage connected. I need to load a fresh 20.04 onto the empty NVMe drive and migrate all the server processes over to that and probably migrate a few VMs from a 3 yr old Ryzen too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast