Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GRUB menu showing windows but windows won't open

Beans

GRUB menu showing windows but windows won't open

Hi.
    My windows 10 and ubuntu both works when i boot them from boot menu (UEFI menu) but from grub menu ubuntu opens perfectly but when i try to open windows it just wont work the page says "This pc needs to be repaired". I try updating GRUB menu. To mention I have 2 ssd one nvme(m.2) one sata SSD. I use ubuntu on m.2 and windows on sata drive. but in grub menu i see windows boot manager on nvme .
    HTML Code:
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/oem-flavour.cfg'
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-40-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-40-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-38-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-38-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-37-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-37-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-1050-oem
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-1050-oem
    Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/nvme0n1p2@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings
    done
    But when i go to windows device manager i see that my boot drive is the sata ssd (sda) one. Can anyone help me. And if it isn't a problem for this community please do tell me i'll remove and post on windows community. Thank You. (I'm not that good in English. Pardon me if i made any mistake.)
    Last edited by rookie69; November 13th, 2021 at 05:10 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention windows version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: GRUB menu showing windows but windows won't open

Each OS on a separate disk is a good plan.
    Booting Ubuntu and Windows from UEFI menu is fine.

Dual booting is difficult enough in the first place and as both systems boot OK, then you only have a cosmetic problem with Grub.

Before offering any suggestions, can you confirm:-

Both systems have been installed in UEFI mode?
    Both systems have GPT?
    If one disk is removed, does the other disk boot (and vice-versa)?
    You have backups of personal data from both systems?

Beans

You mention 'windows; but not which release, is it 10? The link below is the official Ubuntu documentation on dual booting windows 10 and Ubuntu in UEFI mode so I woul suggest you begin by reading through it to see if what you have done conforms with the instructions at the link below.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

I would suggest that if you begin making changes, you keep careful notes of what the changes are in case they don't work so you can change back if necessary,

Found Windows Boot Manager on/dev/nvme0n1p2 @/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    The line above shows the correct EF file needed to boot windows EFI on a GPT drive. If you mount /dev/nvme0n1p2, do you see an ubuntu folder there with EFI files?
    With both drives attached, open terminal while booted into Ubuntu and run the following command and post the output here (that's a Lower Case Letter L in the command):

Code:
      sudo parted -l
    This will tell if either or both drives are GPT or not. It will also tell if there are EFI partitions on both drives or either drive and mounting the EFI drive(s) should show a Microsoft folder as well as an ubuntu folder with the proper EFI boot files.

On a computer with a preinstalled windows EFI, the Ubiquity installer of Ubuntu will install its EFI files on the already existing windows EFI partition which confuses people. I would post the answers to the questions here before taking any steps to modify your install on the off chance it would make things worse. At least now you can boot either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rookie69 View Post
    Hi.
    My windows and ubuntu both works when i boot them from boot menu (UEFI menu) but from grub menu ubuntu opens perfectly but when i try to opwn windows it just wont work the page says "This pc needs to be repaired". I try updating GRUB menu. To mention I have 2 ssd one nvme(m.2) one sata SSD. I use ubuntu on m.2 and windows on sata drive. but in grub menu i see windoows boot manager on nvme .
    HTML Code:
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/oem-flavour.cfg'
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-40-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-40-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-38-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-38-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-37-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-37-generic
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-1050-oem
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-1050-oem
    Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/nvme0n1p2@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings
    done
    But when i go to windows device manager i see that my boot drive is the sata ssd (sda) one. Can anyone help me. And if it isn't a problem for this community please do tell me i'll remove and post on windows community. Thank You. (I'm not that good in English. Pardon me if i made any mistake.)
    You can also use EFI boot loader if you want to configure your Linux Ubuntu GRUB menu. It is nice to see boot loader on multi Operating System. This might also help to solve your issue. So Good Luck and Regards.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Grub only boots working Windows.
    Can you directly boot Windows from UEFI boot menu. Same boot key you used to boot Ubuntu live installer.

Often issue is Windows turns on fast start up with updates or needs chkdsk. Those can be fixed just by directly booting from UEFI.
    If bigger issues you need your Windows repair/recovery flash drive.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

HTML Code:
    Model: ATA Samsung SSD 870 (scsi)Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                          Flags
     1      1049kB  452GB  452GB   ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
     2      452GB   484GB  32.2GB  ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
     3      484GB   934GB  450GB   ext4                                                ##This is my local drive for ubuntu i keep movies types files not system files
     4      934GB   934GB  16.8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres

Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB (nvme)
    Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 500GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name  Flags
     1      1049kB  456GB  456GB   ext4
     2      456GB   456GB  200MB   fat32                 boot, esp
     3      456GB   461GB  5120MB  linux-swap(v1)        swap

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Each OS on a separate disk is a good plan.
    Booting Ubuntu and Windows from UEFI menu is fine.

Dual booting is difficult enough in the first place and as both systems boot OK, then you only have a cosmetic problem with Grub.

Before offering any suggestions, can you confirm:-

Both systems have been installed in UEFI mode?
    Both systems have GPT?
    If one disk is removed, does the other disk boot (and vice-versa)?
    You have backups of personal data from both systems?
    Yes i think both are UEFI as i see in uefi boot menu UEFI-Ubuntu or UEFI-Windows
    I dont know about gpt. Sorry but i think its gpt as when i run parted -l it shows "Partition Table: gpt"
    It's my laptop so i can't confirm now is there any other way
    Yes i have backups
    Last edited by rookie69; November 13th, 2021 at 05:11 PM.

Beans

One thing i forgot to mention Windows version is Windows 10 and i can run windows smoothly from uefi boot menu. It just don't load from GRUB menu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Grub only boots working Windows.
    Can you directly boot Windows from UEFI boot menu. Same boot key you used to boot Ubuntu live installer.

Often issue is Windows turns on fast start up with updates or needs chkdsk. Those can be fixed just by directly booting from UEFI.
    If bigger issues you need your Windows repair/recovery flash drive.
    Yes i can run both os from UEFI boot menu
    i disabled fast start up many days ago

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Windows updates which you may not really see, can turn fast start up back on.

Or Windows can do an UEFI update which may reset some UEFI settings to defaults. I keep a list, but do not have Windows and always know if I have done an UEFI update as I do it myself.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast