Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GRUB menu showing windows but windows won't open

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: GRUB menu showing windows but windows won't open

In post no. 6, I am surprised that your Windows 10 drive does not have an EFI partition.
    Was Windows 10 pre-installed on that disk by the vendor?
    As requested by oldfred, can you also double check that Windows Fast Start Up is disabled.

Beans

Yes it was pre installed but i formatted my nvme drive completely and choose something else in UBUNTU installation.
    And i recently bought this new ssd and made a clean format and make 2 partition and install windows in one partition on my sata ssd
    And fast startup is disabled
    i think as windows doesn't let us make these boot or home efi partition it somehow made efi in ubuntu partition.
    I only use windows for one software proteus provided by my university so i'm going to uninstall windows 10 after this semester. I said this to ask something? As you can see windows and ubuntu both efi is somehow in same partition do i need to fresh install ubuntu again?
    Last edited by rookie69; November 14th, 2021 at 11:10 AM. Reason: I didn't see previous reply

Beans

Since you are currently able to boot both your windows 10 and Ubuntu UEFI, I would not bother trying to make any changes, particularly since you plan to stop using windows soon.

Your situation is unusual. Windows generally comes preinstalled and with an EFI partition with windows EFI boot files on that EFI partition. The Ubuntu Ubiquity installer will put the Ubuntu EFI files on the first EFI partitiion it finds which is the already exisiting windows EFI partition.

i think as windows doesn't let us make these boot or home efi partition it somehow made efi in ubuntu partition.
    It isn't clear to me what you've done here. It seems you had windows 10 preinstalled, then installed Ubuntu UEFI then reinstalled windows 10 again, is that correct. Windows can and will create an EFI partition. If you installed Ubuntu UEFI and then windows EFI, windows may have put its EFI files on the EFI partition created by Ubuntu. Does the windows EFI partition need to be on the same physical drive as the windows OS? I don't know, wouldn't think so but...don't really know.

As you can see windows and ubuntu both efi is somehow in same partition do i need to fresh install ubuntu again?
    Windows and Ubuntu EFI files are almost always on the same hard drive and on the same EFI partition although this is not necessary so I don't see that as a problem

I'd again suggest you leave things as they are until the end of your semester when you plan to remove windows. I would also suggest you read through the Ubuntu documentation link I posted earlier as well as the links posted by oldfred and any other tutorials on dual booting windows 10 and Ubuntu UEFI. I would keep detailed notes while doing this rather than trying to make any changes as you may accidentally create more problems for yourself.

One last thing I would suggest is to go to the link below to the boot repair site. You can download boot repair using the 2nd option on that page to install boot repair in Ubuntu. This is very useful software to have. If you download it, I would suggest that you select the option to Create Boot Info Summary which will output detailed information on your system and its boot files which you will be able to review yourself or post the link you get here for others to review. I would not suggest trying to make any repairs without input from more experienced members here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I agree with yancek - Do not worry about Grub until you have finished your studies.

When dual-booting with each OS on a separate drive, it is good practice to only have the target drive visible when installing the second OS.

Install with UEFI mode and GPT
    Install first OS on drive A
    Remove (or isolate) drive A
    Install second OS on drive B
    Each installation will automatically have an EFI partition
    Re-attach drive A
    Check that each OS boots independently
    Then configure Grub because you will be able to return to independent OS booting via UEFI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Since you are currently able to boot both your windows 10 and Ubuntu UEFI, I would not bother trying to make any changes, particularly since you plan to stop using windows soon.

Your situation is unusual. Windows generally comes preinstalled and with an EFI partition with windows EFI boot files on that EFI partition. The Ubuntu Ubiquity installer will put the Ubuntu EFI files on the first EFI partitiion it finds which is the already exisiting windows EFI partition.

It isn't clear to me what you've done here. It seems you had windows 10 preinstalled, then installed Ubuntu UEFI then reinstalled windows 10 again, is that correct. Windows can and will create an EFI partition. If you installed Ubuntu UEFI and then windows EFI, windows may have put its EFI files on the EFI partition created by Ubuntu. Does the windows EFI partition need to be on the same physical drive as the windows OS? I don't know, wouldn't think so but...don't really know.

Windows and Ubuntu EFI files are almost always on the same hard drive and on the same EFI partition although this is not necessary so I don't see that as a problem

I'd again suggest you leave things as they are until the end of your semester when you plan to remove windows. I would also suggest you read through the Ubuntu documentation link I posted earlier as well as the links posted by oldfred and any other tutorials on dual booting windows 10 and Ubuntu UEFI. I would keep detailed notes while doing this rather than trying to make any changes as you may accidentally create more problems for yourself.

One last thing I would suggest is to go to the link below to the boot repair site. You can download boot repair using the 2nd option on that page to install boot repair in Ubuntu. This is very useful software to have. If you download it, I would suggest that you select the option to Create Boot Info Summary which will output detailed information on your system and its boot files which you will be able to review yourself or post the link you get here for others to review. I would not suggest trying to make any repairs without input from more experienced members here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

It had preinstalled windows but i formatted/deleted full drive when i installed ubuntu
    Than after some days i had to install windows 10 for that particular software

here is my boot summary brother: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/7pQG6k53FP/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    I agree with yancek - Do not worry about Grub until you have finished your studies.

When dual-booting with each OS on a separate drive, it is good practice to only have the target drive visible when installing the second OS.

Install with UEFI mode and GPT
    Install first OS on drive A
    Remove (or isolate) drive A
    Install second OS on drive B
    Each installation will automatically have an EFI partition
    Re-attach drive A
    Check that each OS boots independently
    Then configure Grub because you will be able to return to independent OS booting via UEFI
    I would have done that if i had tools to remove drive from my laptop
    Thank you for your suggestion

Beans

here is my boot summary brother
    I'd save a copy of your boot repair in your /home/user directory for future reference and do some reading on installing Ubuntu alone on a GPT drive in UEFI mode.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Grub will not boot Windows with UEFI Secure boot on.

Something about the chain of Secure boot from grub bootloader to Windows boot loader cannot be approved currently.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Grub will not boot Windows with UEFI Secure boot on.

Something about the chain of Secure boot from grub bootloader to Windows boot loader cannot be approved currently.
    Oh! I got it.

Beans

If you are able to boot both windows and Ubuntu from your UEFI menu , I would not make any changes until I learned morel Read the Ubuntu documentation page from the link in post 3 for starters While doing that, I would suggest that you keep notes, detailed notes.

Both of your drives are GPT so that means windows 10 is an EFI install.

It is a bit unusual to not have an EFI partition on the windows drive but I don't know that is part of the problem. You should be able to mount and access the EFI partition from Ubuntu and when doing so, you should see a Microsoft directory with windows EFI files and an ubuntu directory with Ubuntu EFI files. Have you checked that.

One other thing that has been mentioned above is hibernation. Some windows updates will turn hibernation back on without asking the user if s/he wants that to be done and the user will not be informed that it will be done so I would suggest that after any windows update, you go into the windows Power Settings to verify that hibernation has not been turned on again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast