Thread: WSL1 - can't install lolcat-c (very important)

Beans

WSL1 - can't install lolcat-c (very important)

Hi everyone,

I am carrying out the important task of installing lolcat-c (the gem / pip versions are deprecated).

I can't use snap as this Ubuntu instance is running via WSL1 on a Win10 machine (no systemd).

I cloned the lolcat-c git repo, entered the working directory and have tried various combinations of
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    make install
    Code:
    make && make install
    with and without
    Code:
    sudo

I thought I was getting somewhere (1) installing gcc, and (2) changing permissions to get round various "permission denied" errors. Namely:

• Adding myself to the "staff" group;
    • Changing ownership of
      Code:
      /usr/local/bin/lolcat
      and
      Code:
       /usr/local/bin/censor
      to my user

I've now run into a problem I can't fathom (I've read
    Code:
    man make
    but can't see anything on point) The commands simply return a couple of commands / directories:

Code:
    USER@MACHINE:~/lolcat$ make  
    make: Nothing to be done for 'all'.                                                                                

USER@MACHINE:~/lolcat$ make install     
    install lolcat /usr/local/bin/lolcat 
    install censor /usr/local/bin/censor
    Make doesn't seem to be exiting with any flags - Anyone know what is going on?

Beans

Re: WSL1 - can't install lolcat-c (very important)

Congratulations, you're done. If make outputs 'make: Nothing to be done for 'all', then all the files that might need compiling have already been compiled on a previous run of make. Similarly the output of 'make install' tells you that make copied 'lolcat' and 'censor' to /usr/local/bin/. You should now be able to run the compiled programs. 'lolcat ~/lolcat/lolcat.c' should output the source code of lolcat in all the colours of the rainbow.

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    'lolcat ~/lolcat/lolcat.c' should output the source code of lolcat in all the colours of the rainbow.
    Holger
    Thanks Holger - unfortunately not:

Code:
    $ lolcat ~/lolcat/lolcat.c
    -bash@ /usr/games/lolcat: No such file or directory

Beans

Hmm, that is strange. Check that there is an executable named 'lolcat' in /usr/local/bin/ ('ls -l /usr/local/bin/lol*' should have something like '-rwxr-xr-x' in the first column, meaning readable and executable by everybody, writeable only by the files owner). Also check whether /usr/local/bin is in the PATH ('echo $PATH' ; PATH is an environment variable containing a colon-separated list of all directories where the system looks for executable files). As a last resort you could execute the executable which should still be in the directory containing the source ('~/lolcat/lolcat ~/lolcat/lolcat.c' ; if you give a path to an executable the shell will execute the program whether it's in the PATH or not.).

On a real Ubuntu this program just works, but WSL is to Linux as WINE is to Windows ...

Holger