Thread: Firefox Support Recommends Critical Update to 94.0.1 not in repository

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Firefox Support Recommends Critical Update to 94.0.1 not in repository

Hi

Experiencing multiple multi-media problems such as playing videos on various websites (already replicated by Mozilla) & Mozilla support is saying to update to 94.0.1 which should fix the issue.

I only use official repositories & the update has not been added yet, though out for 5-days.

Can someone add the Firefox 94.0.1 Update to the official repositories so that I can see if this fixes the problem?
    I would prefer not to mod my system by doing this through any other method.

Is there some reason this Firefox official update hasn't been added already? Am I missing something?

If it's not planned to be added for a while because of testing or something, can someone just simply advise so I can install a different browser; because that feature is kind of important.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by 64bitguy; November 9th, 2021 at 07:10 PM.

Beans

Re: Firefox Support Recommends Critical Update to 94.0.1 not in repository

I have not experienced any issue with FF 94.0 so which websites and media are you talking about? Which Ubuntu version is that, is FF a snap? Do you have a link to the Mozilla support page you mentioned?

You have not provided any key info so how do you expect people to help?
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 12th, 2021 at 08:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

According to the Firefox 94.0.1 release notes, the only fix there is

Fixed browser hangs when viewing fullscreen videos on macOS 10.12 (bug 1737998)
    There is nothing there for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Not to be a stickler; but Mozilla is recommending that all platforms update to 94.0.1 to fix this issue.

And you'll see that the Linux Version update for a couple of weeks now.

Seems kind of counter-productive to ignore them... No?

Beans
    Distro

Okay.. Well... since I'm sick of Chrome, I went ahead and manually downloaded 94.0.1; thus kind of altering my nice clean setup (now having two Firefox versions installed) and sure enough, running 94.0.1 resolves the issue.

I suspect the reason why the Firefox changelog only show MacOS 12 impacts is because that is where they originally discovered the bug and fixed the problem on day 2. Thus at that time, it wasn't even known that the issue impacted Linux Users. It does.

I'm not marking this as resolved; because well? It isn't as Ubuntu is still on 94.0. If & when I see an update pushed down, I'll so mark it.

In the meantime, anyone else impacted by this annoying video playback issue should just bite the bullet and install 94.0.1 manually.
    Last edited by 64bitguy; November 19th, 2021 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Pre-coffee

Beans

The Flatpak version of Firefox 94.0.1 has been available since Nov 4. You could optionally be using that - I do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 64bitguy View Post
    Not to be a stickler; but Mozilla is recommending that all platforms update to 94.0.1 to fix this issue.
    I still don't know what issue you are talking about and you still haven't posted the Mozilla link.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can someone add the Firefox 94.0.1 Update to the official repositories so that I can see if this fixes the problem?
    Nobody here can do that. This is an end-user to end-user support forum and none if us is employed by Canonical, LTD. You will have to contact them if you want something added to the official repo.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.