Thread: The server is invaded and the /etc/ld.so.preload file cannot be modified

Beans

The server is invaded and the /etc/ld.so.preload file cannot be modified

During this period of time, the CPU load on the server is still very high without a process. I suspect that the server has been hijacked. I
    Code:
    cat /etc/ld.so.preload
    , Found the following line:
    Code:
    /usr/local/lib/libprocesshider.so
    According to the forum, I should modify the ld.so.preload file to delete this line, but I found that I did not have permission. I found that my lsattr and chattr commands all failed, even if I repeatedly installed e2fsprogs.I recompiled chattr using the forum method, and
    Code:
    sudo ./chattr -ia /etc/ld.so.preload
    . And got the following:
    Code:
    leelee@ubuntu-PowerEdge-T440:~/tools$ sudo ./chattr -ia /etc/ld.so.preload
    cur attrs: 0x00080030, mask: 0x00000030
    new attrs: 0x00080000
    But I still cannot edit this file because
    Code:
    W10: Warning: Changing a readonly file
    . How can I solve this problem?
    Last edited by QIII; November 2nd, 2021 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Default font and color

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The server is invaded and the /etc/ld.so.preload file cannot be modified

If you suspect the system has been compromised, you need to backup data and logs then nuke it from orbit, that's the only way to be sure. In those logs, you should figure out how someone hacked into the system and correct those issues on the new server. If we have daily versioned backups, then we can compare new files added from period-to-period to notice when unexpected files "show up", their names and where they are located. Stuff in /usr/local/ is stuff WE placed there. If we don't know what we put there, that's a problem.
    “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.”