Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Now that MS Edge (stable) is available on Linux, will you use it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Now that MS Edge (stable) is available on Linux, will you use it?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...f-disease.html

'One of the most important aspects of the smart toilet may well be one of the most surprising — and perhaps unnerving: It has a built-in identification system. “The whole point is to provide precise, individualized health feedback, so we needed to make sure the toilet could discern between users,” Gambhir said. “To do so, we made a flush lever that reads fingerprints.” '
    I thought you were pulling my leg. Then you post an actual link.

If you read the contents of the link, the proposal further involves the toilet tracking its "patients" by taking pictures of our uniquely identifiable… erhm… nether regions.

It seems to me that the common theme shared by MS Edge and smart toilets is the law of unintended consequences, or perhaps it's closer to the law of wilful blindness. The promoters of smart toilets see all of these potentially useful upsides but give no thought to the insidious downsides. Likewise for the promoters of MS Edge.

Let's install a Peeping Tom toilet and then connect it to the Internet. What could possibly go wrong? In the same vein, let's install a browser from a highly suspect data skimmer and connect that to the Internet.

Beans

should have expected this MS edge topic turning into a toilet topic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I don't often open Edge but here is yet another attempt to get me to set it as default. I find this intrusive, but expected.Push push push , sell sell sell...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I don't often open Edge but here is yet another attempt to get me to set it as default. I find this intrusive, but expected.Push push push , sell sell sell...
    Well, you will no longer have to put up with the pop‑ups once MS hardwires Edge into W11 as the default. No more stress having to deal with absurd concepts like "choice".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Well, you will no longer have to put up with the pop‑ups once MS hardwires Edge into W11 as the default. No more stress having to deal with absurd concepts like "choice".
    It is Windows 11.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    It is Windows 11.
    Perhaps I misunderstood Paddy's linked report, but I was going by this: https://www.howtogeek.com/768188/win...r-workarounds/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Nope!

I use a chromebook regularly, so syncing bookmarks between that and Ubuntu as well as mobile devices means Chrome is my choice. Although I also use Firefox in Ubuntu. It will be interesting to see if there are those who use both Windows and Ubuntu who will find Edge on Linux convenient for the same reason I go for Chrome.
    Firefox sync works well to sync browsers on different Ubuntu machines. I don't have a chromebook to check sync function there.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Nope. I do my upmost to avoid using anything from that company.

Over the decades, they have a history of being not-so-nice to others, so I choose to inflict a little bit of karma back. It is a duty. So, they had this bad behavior 30 yrs and perhaps the last 5 yrs, they've been an "ok" company. Come back in 25 more years and ask again, if they still exist.

Fool me 1,000 times ... shame on me. People have short memories and don't remember all the not-so-nice things. There's a President, a CEO, and BoD. The BoD has ultimate responsibility for a nasty company. It is never just 1 person and changing the entire culture takes decades.
    I'm not sure Microsoft have any real incentive to change their behavior. They're making something like $165 million per day profit, though mostly thru Azure cloud services and Office as I understand it. Corporations seem to have sold their IT souls to Microsoft. I still keep a Windows install on a laptop because I need to use a Garmin app and accounting/tax apps for which there is no Linux alternative.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Since my biggest beefs with the whole IT ecosystem are the related issues of privacy, anonymity, data proprietorship and tracking, I just don't trust MS or Google at all to install their browsers. Frankly, I wouldn't trust them to shine my shoes.

I use FF as my main browser, Brave as a secondary (almost primary) and an assortment of other FOSS browsers for specific sites. In particular, I find that an outrageously primitive browser (links2) with no scripting ability will allow me to bypass paywalls that more sophisticated browsers won't.

I no longer use the synchronization feature on browsers because I don't trust my passwords or bookmarks to them. Nor do I trust them to be floating around in the cloud. Passwords are stored in a Keepass database. Bookmarks are stored on my personal NextCloud. The browser has reverted to being a generic app like GIMP or Nautilus. This frees me up to treat them all interchangeably. The resulting sense of freedom has been liberating.

No more jails (no matter how cozy) for this bear.
    I agree with you but with Firefox sync I can choose what to sync. Bookmarks? I don't see the issue there really. Passwords? Not a chance. Though there are passwords and then there are passwords. I've thought about syncing passwords for some accounts for which I don't see much of an issue if they were stolen. I don't reuse passwords which is why I need some sort of password manager in the first place.

Beans

No, very happy with Firefox

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast