Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Now that MS Edge (stable) is available on Linux, will you use it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Now that MS Edge (stable) is available on Linux, will you use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    I don't understand what privacy and "being a drone" (whatever that means) have to do with each other?
    This was my somewhat lame follow-up to my earlier "resistance is futile" pop culture reference. That phrase comes out of Star Trek and is the standard warning issued to their victims by the Borg collective prior to their conquering and assimilating other races. Assimilation consists of losing ones identity and becoming a drone under the Borg collective. I was equating our loss of privacy, anonymity and data rights to the life of a Borg drone. My choice of pop culture reference was clearly a poor one because it was too obscure and made little sense except to fellow Trekkies.
    Alas, look at how technology is progressing. It's inevitable that that time will come when Joe Soap, whether teenager or adult, will be able to print out on his 3D printer a tiny insect-like drone and send it into someone's house to spy. Unnoticed, it sits and watches and his target looks at her bank accounts. The drone follows as the target leaves the house and walks to work.

For this reason, among others, passwordless security will become vital.

In stable democracies with solid independent judiciaries, people will be mostly (but not entirely) safe from the government. But we're already seeing a serious attack on that in countries such as the UK and the USA. I hope that the attacks ultimately fail.
    I just finished watching the movie "Snowden". We are not at all safe, really. Your observation about all and sundry having access to the most sophisticated surveillance technology is both prescient and dystopian. It's also really scary, but right now I see nothing standing in the way of your prediction coming true. Our glorious leaders certainly don't have a clue.
    …CCTV is either everywhere or getting there. If you live somewhere like the UK or South Korea, you'll know what I mean.
    I noticed this when I was last in London. I felt like a bug under a microscope, but I don't think anyone else even noticed them.
    In countries with authoritarianism, a mess awaits. Imagine a place like Afghanistan or Russia in the dystopian future.
    The truly scary thing is that I doubt such a mess awaits. Rather, under such authoritarianism, the populace truly will become drones and no "mess" will ever be permitted to arise.
    We have to get used to a world without privacy, and organise our society around that fact.
    I think I understand what you are saying and it's hard to dispute your conclusion. However, I think there is still an alternative, though I admit that don't harbour high hopes for it. We could collectively wake up and demand a foundation of privacy rights from our legislators. We could turf out of office those who don't get it and elect those who do get it. But this requires an appreciation for the fact that our data rights are human rights.

I am curious: what do you think a society organised around a complete lack of privacy would look like?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    … We could collectively wake up and demand a foundation of privacy rights from our legislators. We could turf out of office those who don't get it and elect those who do get it.
    Have you seen the state of democracy recently? The UK is ruled without room for dissent by a government that had only a third of the popular vote. Trump ruled the USA having won the fewest votes ever, even less than his opponent, Hillary Clinton. The politicians love this state of affairs, because it gives them extra power (albeit that they need to take turns every four or eight years). For us to do what you suggest requires people to wake up to the fact that politicians care only about themselves.
    I am curious: what do you think a society organised around a complete lack of privacy would look like?
    I wish that I had a good answer to this, but I don't.

There will be some upsides: People will have to stop being so judgemental, and will have to be honest (because lies will be so easily revealed).

There will be downsides: With some manipulation, people will become super-judgemental in certain areas; and some people (such as politicians), with their power, will be able to achieve temporary privacy for their shenanigans. It might lead to even worse inequality than we have right now.

In dysfunctional governments (well, there's no other type of government, so I mean extra-dysfunctional), absolute power over citizens will be possible: Think of North Korea, Russia, China.

Isn't it interesting how discussion of a would-be monopolist has led us to here? Hmm…
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well, Paddy:

You're dealing with a cussed optimist here. I continue to harbour delusional fantasies that people are capable of waking up, seeing their freedoms circling the drain, and doing something about it before they all disappear.

Getting back to your initial question, this just in: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...bookmarks.html

I feel really badly for those who are forced (usually by work requirements) to use MS Edge.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

@Paddy Landau:

Your last posts moved away from a general discussion of politics surrounding technology to a couple of pointed attacks specifically aimed at two countries -- on subjects other than technology. Please keep this thread on track.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    @Paddy Landau:

Your last posts moved away from a general discussion of politics surrounding technology to a couple of pointed attacks specifically aimed at two countries -- on subjects other than technology. Please keep this thread on track.
    I shall do.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

You think that is bad until you see smart houses, smart toilets etc. It is like someone is watching you every step of the way, I can't understand why anyone would want those ("convenience", "security" I supposed). I keep hearing people telling me how advanced certain country is where they are heading towards a cashless society, all transactions will be through smart phones, they say it is so convenient and help slowing down the spread of covid (since cash is dirty), then a pianist's career was ruined because he visited a prostitute, he was interviewed by the cops, attacked online, all his sponsors pulled out and his concerts cancelled. How did they know? Because he paid the prostitute with his phone. No kidding.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 18th, 2021 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I will probably regret asking this but, how on earth can a toilet be made "smart"
    …and what would be the point?

Beans

I will probably regret asking this but, how on earth can a toilet be made "smart"
    …and what would be the point?
    https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...f-disease.html

'One of the most important aspects of the smart toilet may well be one of the most surprising — and perhaps unnerving: It has a built-in identification system. “The whole point is to provide precise, individualized health feedback, so we needed to make sure the toilet could discern between users,” Gambhir said. “To do so, we made a flush lever that reads fingerprints.” '

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Our toilets all raise their lids when you get in front of them, then flush and lower the lids when you stand up.

If you are a male and you use the remote to raise the seat after the lid is raised, they flush when you step away and automatically put both seat and lid down.

They are integrated bidet units with heated water and sprayer timers. Heated seats.

Smarter than I need and a bit of overkill for a farm house, but Mrs QIII has her comfort standards!

But they don't make me any more interested in using MS Edge.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    But they don't make me any more interested in using MS Edge.
    So sitting on the john doesn't pull you over the Edge

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast