Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash to Dock custom color fails to apply correctly

Beans

Dash to Dock custom color fails to apply correctly

Ubuntu 21.10. There's something weird going on with dash-to-dock. I am attempting to change the background color to one of my choice. The problem is, it changes, but never to the color I select. To illustrate, I chose yellow (screenshot 1). The background changed to pink instead. I logged out and in to see if that made a difference, and found my the color just reverts to the original dark gray (screenshot 2) even though yellow is still indicated. Can anyone confirm this bug, or find an error in my procedure?

Also, the "counter indicators" were chosen to be dots. They are still the little pointy things.

One other thing: if you look carefully, there is a black rectangle underlying the dock. That should not be there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis N; October 30th, 2021 at 06:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Dash to Dock custom color fails to apply correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Ubuntu 21.10. There's something weird going on with dash-to-dock. I am attempting to change the background color to one of my choice. The problem is, it changes, but never to the color I select. To illustrate, I chose yellow (screenshot 1). The background changed to pink instead. I logged out and in to see if that made a difference, and found my the color just reverts to the original dark gray (screenshot 2) even though yellow is still indicated. Can anyone confirm this bug, or find an error in my procedure?
    Also, the "counter indicators" were chosen to be dots. They are still the little pointy things.
    One other thing: if you look carefully, there is a black rectangle underlying the dock. That should not be there.
    Try using some app like gnome tweak tool. This might give you a help. Or you can just try to use the transparency leveled low so that the color of your dock will blend to the color of your wallpaper and its cool to the eye. But if you want the color of your choice just use some tweak apps.
    To install some gnome tweak here are the command below or you can just use the Ubuntu Software App to install the application you want. Good Luck.
    Code:
    sudo apt install gnome-tweaks
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    Try using some app like gnome tweak tool. This might give you a help. Or you can just try to use the transparency leveled low so that the color of your dock will blend to the color of your wallpaper and its cool to the eye. But if you want the color of your choice just use some tweak apps.
    To install some gnome tweak here are the command below or you can just use the Ubuntu Software App to install the application you want. Good Luck.
    Code:
    sudo apt install gnome-tweaks
    Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, we can't set the dash to dock transparency in Ubuntu 21.10 at all. That setting not is functional. The Tweaks tool no longer deals with Gnome shell extensions - that job is now done with the Extensions app.

It is possible to use the default settings for appearance, but the customizations should function. With the default settings, the dock is solid black, and the other problems mentioned - underlying dark gray rectangle and that of the counter indicators also exist under the defaults.

Ubuntu may intend the user to use Ubuntu Dock, not install Dash to Dock. If indeed these are bugs, it may be the extension's maintainer, not Ubuntu, that needs to fix this for Gnome 40.

I'm still looking for confirmation from another user of Ubuntu 21.10 who would check Dash to Dock for these problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@ Dennis N

Yes, something weird about Dash to Dock.

I'm not a regular user of this extension but I tried it after reading your post.

My findings are:-

Background colour changed once successfully and then regularly failed to change.
    Black rectangle under dock is visible
    Panel Mode: extend to screen edge makes it less visible.
    Window Counter indicator is OK with dots (and change to other styles seems fine)

Back to Dash to Panel now

Edit: Some issues (among others) reported about colour/transparency here https://github.com/micheleg/dash-to-dock/issues
    Last edited by tea for one; October 30th, 2021 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added link to github

Beans

Hi, maybe you want to use Dash to Panel instead. D to D's support for gnome 40 has been broken for a while and I think it just got fixed in Oct. D to P has been working great though (screenshot from Archlinux and gnome 40. but I think it works the same way on Ubuntu)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Gnome Tweaks tool.
    Yeah. Actually, I don't really use this tool. But maybe this will run on Linux Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute Hippo.
    They have a list of new version according to the new Linux Ubuntu Operating System release. Maybe this will help. Click here.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    @ Dennis N

Yes, something weird about Dash to Dock. I'm not a regular user of this extension but I tried it after reading your post.
    My findings are:-

Background colour changed once successfully and then regularly failed to change.
    Black rectangle under dock is visible
    Panel Mode: extend to screen edge makes it less visible.
    Window Counter indicator is OK with dots (and change to other styles seems fine)

Back to Dash to Panel now

Edit: Some issues (among others) reported about colour/transparency here https://github.com/micheleg/dash-to-dock/issues
    Thanks for taking the time to test and confirming the problems. That helps. I also found it's appearance varies with the gnome shell theme being used. But all that I checked have the background color problem and none have transparency. The counters will change in some themes, not others.

Since the dash to dock is independent of Gnome and Ubuntu, I guess it is really up to the creator of the extension to fix any bugs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Hi, maybe you want to use Dash to Panel instead. D to D's support for gnome 40 has been broken for a while and I think it just got fixed in Oct. D to P has been working great though (screenshot from Archlinux and gnome 40. but I think it works the same way on Ubuntu)
    That's a good option to consider. I am also thinking of Plank, which can stay on the left and has a lot of configurations possible. Plank won't work with Wayland, but I use Xorg (for now) so it would be ok. I use it now on Xubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    Yeah. Actually, I don't really use this tool. But maybe this will run on Linux Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute Hippo.
    They have a list of new version according to the new Linux Ubuntu Operating System release. Maybe this will help. Click here.
    Yes, I used it on 21.04 and it's installable on 21.10 too. It's just that the "Extensions" choice has been removed from the left panel of Tweaks, so it can't be used for managing the gnome-shell extensions any longer. It's still a great tool for the other categories.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I have given Dash to Panel a try. It seems to have its own problems. I found the "Show Applications" icon on the far left of the panel does not display the application grid, just am empty overview. (see screenshot). This is a bug:

Failure of "Show Applications" button on panel.

The author will need to offer an upgrade. On the other hand, it's possible to change the color, which dash to dock cannot do. Opacity does not seem to work in either one.

I am back using Dash to Dock on this machine, skipping the customization now, but I'm also trying out Plank on a second Ubuntu 21.10. It looks very promising.
    Last edited by Dennis N; November 1st, 2021 at 04:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast