Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: terminal issues

Beans

terminal issues

I have encountered a rather strange behavior in my terminal. I'm attempting to enter a command, and when it reaches the edge of the window, instead of dropping to a new line, it returns on same line and begins typing over the prompt. If I backspace, it deletes only to the right of my current spot, will only go back partway, or backs up to other lines, including into remnants of previous commands. Sometimes, if I close the terminal, and relaunch it works as it should, and sometimes it continues this strange behavior. It's quite maddening, to be honest. I can't get screengrab to work right, so I can't post a screenshot, sorry. Any ideas on what would cause such craziness, and how I can fix this. Thanks in advance for any tips.
    I'm using Lubuntu 20.04 with all updates and the issue is in qtterminal 0.14.1
    I'm a firm believer that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Lenovo ideapad320-15iap, 1.1G Intel processor with onboard graphics, x64, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram
    lubuntu 20.04.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: terminal issues

Try entering:
    stty sane

Even if you can't exactly see the text - type those characters and <enter>. Then see if that doesn't fix it. If not, kill the terminal and open a new one. Should be fine now.

Beans

Thanks thefu, but it is still doing it. I rebooted and no help. I have also tried konsole and xterm, and they do the same thing. This is nutty. I changed my prompt a few months ago and terminal worked fine since. I recently added an echo command and cowsay and fortune lines to terminal, and have since commented out those lines. I'm ruling those mods out because terminal was doing this off and on well before I made those changes. I can run any commands as long as they fir on 1 line, so I can go full screen or at least full width, and everything seems to be ok.
    Lenovo ideapad320-15iap, 1.1G Intel processor with onboard graphics, x64, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram
    lubuntu 20.04.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you change locale/languages?

Beans

thefu...I haven't made any changes to my system except install a couple of terminal based apps and any recommended upgrades. The apps I installed are 'fortune', which I've had before, 'tt' which is a typing tutor type app for teerminal, 'cowsay, just because it's another cool thing I can do with linux, 'sl' just to check it out. All of these were installed from terminal with apt install, from the repositories, and none should change any system settings such as locale or language. I can just continue to widen my screen, or use a tty console to run some of the longer commands, I use 2 monitors so terminal on 1 and run fullscreen, it's more of inconvenience than anything else. All commands seem to run fine. If it matters, I do upgrades from either discover, or from terminal with sudo apt update, apt list upgradable, and sudo apt upgrade.
    lubuntu 20.04.2

Beans
    Hidden!

Are you willing to try some other terminal emulator, for example

Code:
    sakura

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What about "sudo apt full-upgrage" to get on the supported kernel?

Beans

sudodus..I've tried konsole and xterm, but always willing to try new thing(which sometimes leads me to trouble..lol). I'll give the terminal emulator you mentioned and see what happens, as long as it defaults to bash, don't want to overload myself learning a new shell at this time. Thefu, I'll try that, but out of curiosity, what's the difference between that and the standard sudo apt upgrade?
    lubuntu 20.04.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coley9225 View Post
    Thefu, I'll try that, but out of curiosity, what's the difference between that and the standard sudo apt upgrade?
    As usual, the manpage answers:
    Code:
           upgrade
               upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
               currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
               /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
               versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
               circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
               not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
               currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
               changing the install status of another package will be left at
               their current version. An update must be performed first so that
               apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade (i.e. full-upgrade)
               dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
               also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
               of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
               it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
               expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade
               command may therefore remove some packages. The
               /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from which
               to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for
               a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual
               packages.
    apt and apt-get use the same backends. Typically, apt passes commands to apt-get ... except where apt has added processing like how it can install .deb files directly, then resolve dependencies, which apt-get doesn't handle. For normal weekly patching, there isn't a difference.
    The apt manpage says this:
    Code:
           upgrade (apt-get(8))
               upgrade is used to install available upgrades of all packages
               currently installed on the system from the sources configured via
               sources.list(5). New packages will be installed if required to
               satisfy dependencies, but existing packages will never be removed.
               If an upgrade for a package requires the removal of an installed
               package the upgrade for this package isn't performed.

full-upgrade (apt-get(8))
               full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove
               currently installed packages if this is needed to upgrade the
               system as a whole.
    Notice how it points to apt-get's manpage for both options? Basically, using apt saves typing "-get"

Beans

I ran sudo apt full-upgrade, and it didn't appear to upgrade anything. At this point, should I try upgradeing the release, upgrade to 20.10, then 21.04, and then to 21.10? I do daily backups with timeshift, so if things go sideways, I can always restore back to todays set up. I just don't want to go through a fresh install and have to reinstall all my apps if I can avoid it.
    After running full-upgrade the terminal is still acting strange.
    lubuntu 20.04.2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast