Thread: Can't get listening ports

Beans

Can't get listening ports

I am running the following three commands to find listening ports and I not getting any listing with any of them. Is something blocking these commands? What's going on?

Code:
      sudo netstat -tunlp
      sudo ss -tunlp
      sudo lsof -nP -iTCP -sTCP:LISTEN

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't get listening ports

That would indeed suggest that no processes are listening, which is unusual for an Ubuntu install. Is this in a VM? What's the context?

Beans

OK, I have to "fess up". I dual boot ubuntu 20.04 with another Debian based operating system. It's the other OS that causing this problem. However the Ubuntu Forums seems to be the only place I can competent answers. I assume the problem would be the same on any Debian based OS.

Beans
    Distro

What makes you think that any service is listening? Maybe this "other" distro doesn't have any listening processes. The only services I see listening here are avahi-daemon, cupsd (printer service), cups-browsed sshd and brave. Only avahi and cups are running by default. A more security conscious distro might not start them by default.

Try this command to briefly open a listening port (9999):
    Code:
    nc -lv 9999
    Then use your commands to look for open ports in a different terminal window.

Beans

OK that did show up with all three commands. Could it be there are no listening port with this OS (it's Kali by the way)? I'm surprised!!

Beans
    Distro

Kali is a security conscious penetration testing distro. It should not surprise you at all that it's not listening on any ports by default. I'd be a little surprised if it was.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Not Ubuntu. Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian Based sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.