Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repeated nagging to update op system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Repeated nagging to update op system

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    lubuntu[dot]org is a privately owned web site … lubuntu[.dot]net was involved with the Lubuntu project … new website under Ubuntu control (https://lubuntu.me/)
    This is all correct. Unfortunately, the way that the internet is set up, it's not possible to get control of renegade people unless they break the law (even then, not always possible).

The top result in an internet search results in the wrong Lubuntu site, leading people like you to (unwittingly) download dodgy software. It's not your fault, but unfortunately you have been landed with it.

If you have downloaded from an invalid Ubuntu website or from lubuntu[dot]net, assume that the software is compromised. Do not trust it!

In your position, I would download the correct, valid software from the official Lubuntu website, and overwrite your existing installation from scratch. I recommend the latest LTS version, which is 20.04 (the next LTS version will be 22.04).

I know that you don't what to hear this, but we aren't going to give you false information. It's for your own safety.

Also, regarding updates, you should never delay security updates. Waiting five years, even for non-security updates, is a guarantee that you'll have problems! It's also a good idea to run all the other updates when prompted.

If you open Software & Updates > Updates, you can tailor your reminders. I strongly recommend that you automatically check for updates daily, and set security updates to download and install automatically. A recent example of why that is important was a dangerous bug in Chrome, which was fixed (IIRC) overnight.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

guiverc, I've been telling folks to use sudoedit to edit system files for about 4 yrs. Running most GUI programs with sudo when we aren't sure exactly which OS release they have can be dangerous - in some releases the HOME doesn't get reset under sudo, which means directory and config files can be owned as root in the user's HOME. I know that about 5 yrs ago, someone in my LUG did a fresh install, then used sudo gedit /etc/hosts ... as one of their first commands. They were never able to log into that system again, because the ~/.config/ directory was owned by root with 700 permissions. Basically, nothing gnome-based worked. Login loop resulted.

To the OP, learning to edit system files, safely, is a basic skill required for people managing their own multi-user computer. All Linux systems are multi-user. The basic skills are best learned in order to avoid huge gaps and misunderstandings. http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php is a good source of this basic information and skills that isn't tied to any GUI. As you know, the GUI changes with each release, but the underlying OS doesn't change that much between releases. Anyway, that no-hassle book has all the basic skills and understanding to handle a multi-user system.

Newer releases of desktop Ubuntu/Lubuntu OSes have changed the package manager name, but you can always use apt-get, if you prefer. Or you can install the old tools like synaptic, if you prefer that. You have the choice.

If you connect the system to the internet, then it needs to be patched. If you don't connect it to the internet, then the only reason to patch is to protect against other bad systems on your local network OR to get new software installed.

I prefer to disable all nags about updates and to manually patch my many systems weekly. I have a script that does this, so I only need to enter 1 command from 1 system and it connects to every other system and runs the update and full-upgrade APT commands for me. This happens in a window and gets logged, so if anything bad happens, I can see the log for the issues.

The more we know, the more we can have the computer(s) work for us.

Beans

Thanks Guiverc for post #10.
    In time since last post, read a lot on en.wikipedia, decided terminal (which allows sudo chmod to run) understands posix instead of unix. Terminal runs bash but that is all about program flow and nothing about editing instructions I gather after hours wasted reading about it. Bing found me a tutorial about posix, http://web.cs.ucla.edu/~miryung/teac...22%20directory which was useful. Couldn't find a ls command parameter that allowed viewing privileges of lubuntu-upg-notifier.sh under terminal but could look at the privileges with file manager. Privlleges were 111 for root, 101 for group & everyone. Used terminal chmod to change privileges of lubuntu-upg-notifier.sh to 777 . Use feather text editor to change sleep time of update notification from 3600 to 100000 or 26 hours. Used terminal to change privileges of lubuntu-upg-notifier.sh back to 755 . Boot. Problem solved. Popup box notifies me to update lubuntu right after sign-on, then not again for 26.6 hours. Thanks everybody.
    Last edited by indianajo; November 1st, 2021 at 04:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    guiverc, I've been telling folks to use sudoedit to edit system files for about 4 yrs. Running most GUI programs with sudo when we aren't sure exactly which OS release they have can be dangerous - in some releases the HOME doesn't get reset under sudo, which means directory and config files can be owned as root in the user's HOME.
    Thanks @TheFu

I wish I'd thought of `sudoedit`; alas I didn't. I said what I'd do; as it was truthful, and my bad habits showed through.

Thank you for the correction/advice, and sorry @indianajo (I wish it'd occurred to me to suggest `sudoedit` but it didn't)

Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    ... In time since last post, read a lot on en.wikipedia, decided terminal (which allows sudo chmod to run) understands posix instead of unix.
    ... Couldn't find a ls command parameter that allowed viewing privileges of lubuntu-upg-notifier.sh under terminal but could look at the privileges with file manager.
    I'm not sure what you're looking for, `ls -lah` I commonly use; although if it's only a single file I'd likely use `stat.

Well done on the learning !!! We're all still learning; my issue is forgetting much of what I did learn, and my old habits returning... (eg. `sudoedit` )
    Last edited by guiverc; November 1st, 2021 at 05:27 AM. Reason: added 2nd reply in first msg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12