Thread: extended partitions

Beans

extended partitions

gonna install ubuntu to my hdd but toshiba in 2009 partitioned it into 4 making it so i cant make a fifth bootable one. i heard of extended partitions but how do i make them (with windows because i dont have any acess to linux) and install ubuntu to one
    idk which ubuntu i will install but it will be supported and modern. i would have done 20.10 or 16.04.7 lts because i already made installers for them but i gave those to someone and they havent given them back yet. if there are any good distros i would like a link. (needs to be able to be installed on a dvd)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: extended partitions

16.04 isn't modern. It still has extended security maintenance, but standard support has ended. Support for 20.10 has ended too. So I suggest either 20.04 or 21.10.

Is there a different OS installed on that computer that you want to keep? Like Windows 8 or 10? But that computer seems a bit old for those Windows versions. If there's nothing you want to keep, just wipe the harddrive and install Ubuntu. Actually, better to use a light flavour, as that computer isn't very powerful, I assume. Lubuntu, maybe.

Beans

it has windows 10 also too late i alrady installed 16.04.7 lts because i am too lazy to download another iso

Beans

lts because i am too lazy to download another iso
    Which contradicts the statement in your original post of installing a supported and modern distro. This is somewhat equivalent to people using unsupported windows systems such as windows 7 and earlier which jeopardizes other users on the internet and gives opportunity to spammers and hackers to take advantage of other users. You might take a look at the link below which explains the Extended Security Maintenance for Ubuntu mentioned in post 2.

https://ubuntu.com/security/esm
    Last edited by yancek; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How did you install 16.04.7 when the four primary partitions were already used by the manufacturer? Your actions make this thread pointless. But just for those who are wondering. This is the method.

1) Use Windows tools to manage Windows file systems and partitions. Use a Windows tool to defrag the drive. Make sure Windows loads correctly. Use a Windows partition manager to delete one of the primary partitions and also shrink the other primary partitions to create sufficient free space for Ubuntu.

Then use Linux tools to create an Extended partition in the free space and in that Extended partition create at least one Linux partition for Ubuntu. It must have the Ext4 format.

The Ubuntu live session has an application called GParted that will do the Linux part for you. My final advice is to research the internet to understand the Master Boot Record (MBR) partition table and Primary, Extended and Logical partitions and also study the GParted manual. It is online.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You have been asked twice by forum Admins to stop asking for support for an EOL release, advice which is only allowed in rare instances such as when a LAN admin is attempting to keep production servers running as they migrate to a new release.

Let me say this for a third time: Stop asking for support for un-supported releases.

Closed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.